Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First 'breakdown' since I bought it...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
pilch

Post by pilch » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:04 pm

...fortunately happened in the drive :lol:

I'd move the Zed out of my workshop so I could do a DMF a clutch on a 1 series and when that was done I tried to start the Zed. Just a loud click from the starter and nothing else. Gave it a whack with hammer and it started to crank but then gave up again.

I did double check the battery but its less than a month old and always on a maintainer and it definitely wasn't that.

So a bit of pushing and pulling to get it back inside and I whipped the starter out this evening ready for the new one arriving on Tuesday.

Can't complain really though, especially as I wasn't out and about in it :o

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:35 pm

If its going to fail ,might as well be on your drive rather than side of the road,just recently had to replace the starter on mine,think they are going to fail its a matter of when not if.
Mine also failed at home so i got away lucky too :thumbsup:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

pilch

Post by pilch » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm

sw4nny wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:35 pm If its going to fail ,might as well be on your drive rather than side of the road,just recently had to replace the starter on mine,think they are going to fail its a matter of when not if.
Exactly that!

What's with all the talk about having to remove inlet manifold to change it though?!

One bolt from above, on from below and it's out!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm

pilch wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm
sw4nny wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:35 pm If its going to fail ,might as well be on your drive rather than side of the road,just recently had to replace the starter on mine,think they are going to fail its a matter of when not if.
Exactly that!

What's with all the talk about having to remove inlet manifold to change it though?!

Hell no. Easy to hoick out.
I did disconnect the battery after nearly welding a spanner to the block though. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

pilch

Post by pilch » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 pm
pilch wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm
Exactly that!

Hell no. Easy to hoick out.
I did disconnect the battery after nearly welding a spanner to the block though. :roll:
I did remember to disconnect the battery having failed to do so on previous occasions :rofl:

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:16 pm

pilch wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:39 pm What's with all the talk about having to remove inlet manifold to change it though?!
For 3/5ers with the M54/57s and the like the manifold had to come off on the autobox cars.
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:43 pm

It's definitely handy if it happens at home!

But when the battery died in my previous 3 Series the RAC patrol guy who came out said most of their call outs were to peoples' homes - I was just I had paid the extra for it. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black