Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight failed on MOT

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mikehas

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Mikehas » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:46 pm

My car has failed it’s MOT, the drivers side headlight is too low and won’t adjust with the adjuster next to steering wheel. The passenger sides adjusts but drivers doesn’t. I have swapped out the motor and still doesn’t work.

Sometimes adjusts for first 30 seconds when car is turned on and then doesn’t adjust after that.

Anyone have any ideas, the mechanic I took it too couldn’t work it out and now I have no MOT

smorris_12

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 pm

Manually adjust it to the correct point and disconnect the motor if it's ever going down and not coming back up on startup. Don't think the electrical adjustment is part of the mot (at least as far as halogens go, dunno about xenons.)
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Mikehas

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Mikehas » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:16 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:20 pm Manually adjust it to the correct point and disconnect the motor if it's ever going down and not coming back up on startup. Don't think the electrical adjustment is part of the mot (at least as far as halogens go, dunno about xenons.)
How do I manually adjust them?

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by kis » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 pm

The headlights, assuming you have halogen are mostly manually adjusted from the engine bay. Then they can be "notched" up and down if needed via the LCM wheel.

This is how you adjust the beam.

So to confirm you've swapped the leveling motor and confirmed they both work (I guess via your working light). Or have you only tried to swap your working one into the not working one - and that didn't fix it? i.e. the leveling motor might still be bad, but you might have a second issue as well...

If you weren't so far in Leicestershire I could have probably helped you out.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by bigwinn » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:37 pm

Mike where you based I may be able to help
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Mikehas

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Mikehas » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:37 pm Mike where you based I may be able to help
Based in burbage bud

Mikehas

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Mikehas » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 pm

kis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 pm The headlights, assuming you have halogen are mostly manually adjusted from the engine bay. Then they can be "notched" up and down if needed via the LCM wheel.

This is how you adjust the beam.

So to confirm you've swapped the leveling motor and confirmed they both work (I guess via your working light). Or have you only tried to swap your working one into the not working one - and that didn't fix it? i.e. the leveling motor might still be bad, but you might have a second issue as well...

If you weren't so far in Leicestershire I could have probably helped you out.
I bought a new levelling motor and had a mechanic fix it as he said that was the issue but it didn’t fix it

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by bigwinn » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:45 pm

I’ve got a set of headlights for sale that are showing no signs of selling

You are welcome to borrow them and get your mot done…

I’m not getting involved in the ethics…

:wink:
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

javis20

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by javis20 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:00 pm

Even if the leveling motor is bad, the mechanical adjustment should be working... The leveling motor doesn't know your adjusting the vertical screw. Something must be wrong with the linkage.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by kis » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:59 pm

The headlights can have leveling motor issues, so yes that could be your problem. But if the mechanic has fitted, and it hasn't made a difference then you've probably got another issue (but it's good you've replaced - it means that's not the issue).

The headlights have the adjustment gears like I added above. So this lets you manually re-level them. The only issue is, that they shouldn't need it. So my best guess is that the internal adjustment rod, like I've pictured below is broken. This is a vertical headlight leveling rod which was broken within a e85 light I bought second hand. So my recommendation is to take the light off (maybe the mechanic) and take a proper look.
pic 1.jpg
pic 1.jpg (135.36 KiB) Viewed 427 times
pic 2.jpg
pic 2.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 427 times
If that is your issue, you're pretty restricted. You can't just buy that part... it's a new headlight or repair of the broken adjustment rod.

I think maybe take bigwinn up on the offer. It's pretty cheap for a pair of facelift headlights IMO (if you wanted to keep) and not just borrow.

Like I said, I'm happy to help but I'm a bit further away on the other side of London so probably not really viable.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Gazzypants

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Gazzypants » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:56 pm

Am thinking some of you guys can help me. I identified that my headlight motor wasn’t working on z4 e85 ‘07 as a result of failing NOT as the driver side would adjust. I’ve bought the replacement motor and have access to the the headlight (including taking off the bumper) but I can’t get the old one unplugged as it’s sort of inside the headlight and up. Any tips. Why be able to buy a new motor if you can’t unplug the clip. The wires seem hard wired in at the motor end and the new one clearly has a plug

Gazzypants

Headlight failed on MOT

Post by Gazzypants » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:58 pm

Pics to go with
Attachments
The set of wires with the yellow. Go up and behind
The set of wires with the yellow. Go up and behind
image.jpg (156.77 KiB) Viewed 123 times
New motor
New motor
IMG_6058.jpeg (225.99 KiB) Viewed 123 times