Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ZF 6HP transmission

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

ZF 6HP transmission

Post by hopz121 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:43 pm

clintel wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:01 pm Hopz121:
Re ATF change.......There is nothing wrong with the smoothness etc. of the trans.
Most car makers claim for the 6HP: 'Sealed for life',.........[The drain plug is VERY difficult to undo.]
ZF say who designed and manufactured the gearbox say otherwise….. but what would they know :lol:

New seals, gaskets and oil made a decent difference to mine and then after that I XHP’d it which improved it even further.

I assumed you were the original poster which you aren’t and my original response was aimed at the OP. I only have experience of this gearbox in BMW’s so not sure what your issues are. May discuss it with ZF or your car manufacturer and see what they suggest.

Best of luck with it all.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

clintel

ZF 6HP transmission

Post by clintel » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:54 am

I have the same problem as the OP had earlier but he probably sorted it out one way or another long ago..
I'll try ASAP to explain the technical issue [not performance / maintenance] which I've tried to find info about.
Your forum is the only one discussing the 6HP AFAIK so I was pleased to find it
More & more cheers...........

clintel

ZF 6HP transmission

Post by clintel » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:23 am

Apologies for delay....
My answer to ronk

Of course the gearbox knows NOTHING.......It does what its programmers have instructed it [Realistically or otherwise] to do...
Human leg  muscles, however strong, rely on a carbohydrate fuel / oxygen mixture from the human intake system . A cyclist can only continuously  pedal as strongly as the blood supply to the leg muscles will allow....
The pistons & connecting rods in an engine can operate at full load indefinitely because they can be fed the required hydrocarbon fuel / oxygen mixture continuously by the intake system..
The amount of work required per engine revolution is not a fixed % of the work done by the expansion of the burning mixture...At full throttle the work done per revolution is much greater than the work needed to turn the crankshaft but   at idle / very light throttle the net work done per revolution by combustion is a much    smaller  % than at full throttle.
A Diesel engine is more economical mainly because it is not throttled at all....
The more fuel burnt [completely] per revolution the more fuel economy is obtained because the work needed to turn the engine is smaller relative to the work done by the burning mixture.
The more fuel burnt per revolution; the more net work done, hence the more power per RPM and the further the car will go per drop of fuel....
I hope this is starting to indicate what my puzzlement [like that of the OP] is about
Cheers