Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Changing the bumper cover

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Spahr

Post by Spahr » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:18 pm

I couldn’t make it to our bungalow on Pine Island, Florida in time to get my 2003 Z4 out of the path of Hurricane Ian. The eye of the storm passed over the island with 150MPH winds. Although it was under the carport and we only got about 6” of storm surge, the exterior of the car had aluminum siding and other debris wrapped around it. So it will be getting a full repaint.

The front bumper cover was cracked/scuffed when I bought it from the original owner. So now is the time to get that replaced too. Insurance will pay for the paint, I’ll have to pay for the bumper cover.

Any suggestions as to where I would get the replacement bumper cover? Is BMW the only one I should consider?

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:53 pm

If you are getting a full respray paid for, just get a good condition bumper cover from a breaker / salvage yard. It doesn’t matter what colour it is. A new one from BMW will cost a lot, if even available, and I doubt there are any aftermarket options.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Spahr

Post by Spahr » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:02 pm

Actually there are a number of companies that make replacement bumper covers. Some direct replacements and some are custom designed covers. I was hoping someone here had actual experience with replacements. I also think finding one in the used parts market that is better than the one I already have would be next to impossible. The ones I’ve seen are in bad condition. Probably be best just to have mine repaired.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:24 pm

I'd say opposite for over here in the UK. Parts are plentiful as it's come to a point where parts are sometimes worth more than the car itself. So many cars are being broken.

Most of the members here are based in the UK so have little info/experience with the companies you're looking for IMO. I'm very much an advocate of OEM so if you cannot find a good condition bumper that is used, and you don't want to repair, then BMW direct maybe your best option! Best of luck in your search :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71