Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MOT Question

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
rdm05z4

MOT Question

Post by rdm05z4 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm

Several Post on the site regarding a Pass or Fail for MOT's. Here in the states (over the pond). Each state has their own rules for a MOT and what is checked. Is it standard across the UK or each county have different checks? Just trying to learn.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Question

Post by Pondrew » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:44 pm

All the same over here, although I think Northern Ireland have slightly different rules when it comes to vehicles.
Our counties are not like your states, we don't have separate laws. It's more of a money thing; ie each County is responsible for wasting (sorry spending) it's own budget to a degree.
We do have 'devolution' in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (although NI isn't going too well for many historic reasons). Can't quite see what that entails, or the benefits of it TBH.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Question

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:20 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:44 pm All the same over here, although I think Northern Ireland have slightly different rules when it comes to vehicles.
Our counties are not like your states, we don't have separate laws. It's more of a money thing; ie each County is responsible for wasting (sorry spending) it's own budget to a degree.
We do have 'devolution' in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (although NI isn't going too well for many historic reasons). Can't quite see what that entails, or the benefits of it TBH.
Living in Wales, a devolved nation, devolution brings zero to anybody, all we have is a labour led assembly that just does what it wants to screw us.

MOTs are all the same but they have got tougher to pass as years move on, the rules change and cars get older with less money spent on keeping up service history etc
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Samurai Tortoise

MOT Question

Post by Samurai Tortoise » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:38 am

Here is the UK's MOT Test guidelines from the government website. Shows you what we get checked for...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... l-vehicles
2006 BMW E85 Z4 2.5i Sport
2015 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Question

Post by patriot66 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm

rdm05z4 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm Several Post on the site regarding a Pass or Fail for MOT's. Here in the states (over the pond). Each state has their own rules for a MOT and what is checked. Is it standard across the UK or each county have different checks? Just trying to learn.
Are you sure you have some sort of MOT in the States ? :? I was in Alabama recently and some of the cars I saw driving around were absolute death-traps, held together with gaffer tape, bits hanging off, bouncing around on bald tyres and knackered shocks :o If you pulled up outside an MOT Testing Centre in any of them over here after the laughing had died down you would be re-directed to the nearest scrap yard ! :rofl:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

rdm05z4

MOT Question

Post by rdm05z4 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:08 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm
rdm05z4 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:27 pm Several Post on the site regarding a Pass or Fail for MOT's. Here in the states (over the pond). Each state has their own rules for a MOT and what is checked. Is it standard across the UK or each county have different checks? Just trying to learn.
Are you sure you have some sort of MOT in the States ? :? I was in Alabama recently and some of the cars I saw driving around were absolute death-traps, held together with gaffer tape, bits hanging off, bouncing around on bald tyres and knackered shocks :o If you pulled up outside an MOT Testing Centre in any of them over here after the laughing had died down you would be re-directed to the nearest scrap yard ! :rofl:
Each state here has their own laws. Example: Here in MO. at authorized garages they put car on lift and check things out. When I was in Nj. state authorized places had garages where they had skid plates to check your brakes. They checked lights, wipers,horn, wheel bearings, emissions,etc. While in GA. they just check emissions. I have heard that in Pa if car has certain % of rust they fail it and you can't register it. (have to scrap) not sure on that tho. So bottom line states are all different.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

MOT Question

Post by patriot66 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:22 pm

rdm05z4 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:08 pm
patriot66 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:55 pm
Each state here has their own laws. Example: Here in MO. at authorized garages they put car on lift and check things out. When I was in Nj. state authorized places had garages where they had skid plates to check your brakes. They checked lights, wipers,horn, wheel bearings, emissions,etc. While in GA. they just check emissions. I have heard that in Pa if car has certain % of rust they fail it and you can't register it. (have to scrap) not sure on that tho. So bottom line states are all different.
Well, either the powers that be haven't set up 'MOT' testing in Alabama yet or the testers are 'VERY' lenient ! :rofl:
Or maybe some car owners just don't give a damn and are driving around on a wing and a prayer :cry:
Do the Police turn a blind eye ?
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !