Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blank Flashing SatNav Screen

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Turned the ignition yesterday and after the Satnav Screen popped up I was greeted by nothing. The screen is just flashing, off on, I think, every couple of seconds. :(

Every thing else seems to be working, radio CD etc.

Tried taking the Nav disk out and putting it back in, with the Ignition set at Pos1. It's ver 08-2 High.

Have spent the morning trying to find the problem on line, no joy thus far.

Do I just disconnect the battery, for 20mins, to reset the electrics?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Re: Blank Flashing SatNav Screen

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Right well, I disconnected the battery for about 30mins. Now reconnected. No change to the fault. :cry:

Dale_B

Post by Dale_B » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:39 pm

:( ... From what I have read the screen is easily removed via a few screws.
You could remove it and ensure there is no loose connections/trapped wires?

I may be completely wrong, but worth a look for how long it takes.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am

Mine occasionally crashes and refuses to display anything other than "Please wait" when Navigation is selected on the main menu, but this resolves after the ignition has been off for twenty minutes. It doesn't sound like you have the same problem though...
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

itguy

Post by itguy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:10 pm

I wonder if the firmware has corrupted somehow. Try updating it as this is an automatic procedure. Do you know what you were running before ? V32?
2003 Z4 3.0 SE Roadster. Manual, silver with New England red extended leather. Pro nav, xenons, carver hifi, elec fold mirrors, 6CD, dension gateway 100 iPod adaptor, tv, 108s, wind deflector. Fitted: Stubby, cruise control, ZHP, cup holders.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:36 pm

itguy wrote:I wonder if the firmware has corrupted somehow. Try updating it as this is an automatic procedure. Do you know what you were running before ? V32?
It's had, 08-2 High, installed since I bought the car. I'd never even ejected the CD before Sunday morning. it just worked. Was working when I switched it off Friday evening. Started the car up Saturday, to go to the beach and nothing. :(

I've been trawling forums but not found any adivice other than, make sure it's finished booting, disconnect the battery for 20 mins, reconnect and go.

I don't have another version. Tried to download 32.2 yesterday but the old link from to Forum posts I've found, is no more.

Is 08-2 High, the same as 32?

Hope I don't end at a stealer with this, doubt they would have much more idea that us. Will just fleace me. :thumbsdown:

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote:Mine occasionally crashes and refuses to display anything other than "Please wait" when Navigation is selected on the main menu, but this resolves after the ignition has been off for twenty minutes. It doesn't sound like you have the same problem though...
Mine does this, always when I need to use it - rather annoying & not found a quick cure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:41 pm

I would remove the vent and head unit to check the connection for the monitor before doing anything more drastic.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:24 pm

Got my self a copy of the TIS.

Then removed and replaced the current display unit. The symtoms have changed very slightly now the display is just on not flashing on and of every two seconds, as it was before. Wish I had a way to test the unit.

I'm tempted to ask a mate at work, who has just bought a MC, if I can plug my unit in to his car. But if I bugger his up, I'd be propper screwed. So doubt that I will.

Guess I have to take a punt at a replacement display unit, but loathed to shell out for one when it might not be the problem. :|

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm

I know this is a longshore but same thing happened on my wives 2012 325i - checked on several Forums said turn the radio off and then on holding the push button in for about 20 seconds - apparently this resets this system - AND it worked. I know they are different systems in Zeds and 3s but always worth trying before dismantling and shelling out for new screens etc.
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:48 pm

I've tried reseting the system by disconecting the Battery for 20 mins. Will give this a try too.

Any one know the part number for the Central Display Unit?

Should I be able to find it in the TIS? I don't seem to be any parts listed in there, but I'm new to it.

sniffer

Post by sniffer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:24 pm

The firmware is the software which runs on the navigation computer. The navigation disc just contains the map information and is therefore not the firmware.

I would not shell out for a new screen until you have checked all the connections, including the connection(s) at the back of the navigation computer.

momo

Post by momo » Fri May 15, 2020 10:04 pm

hi op, was this issue ever resolved? i am experiencing the same issue. :headbang:

Z4_ATB

Post by Z4_ATB » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:32 pm

Yes happening to me now too - was driving down the road and suddenly the display disappeared and now only flashes white on and off... a diagnosis appears to show an internal fault and I've been advised the internal ribbon fails :headbang:

Any recommended upgrades that allows DSP to still work?
Late registered 09 E85 M Performance Si Sport with a mod or ten…