Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Compulsory smart meters?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:43 pm

I think you are spot on there. :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:20 am

pvr wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:37 pm Funniest part is that the consumer unit has to be 40 cm from the ground so that disabled can reach it. Let’s not talk children here then but as it was 1.8 meters high it had to come down
Are you sure about that Paul; or was it a 'chancer' electrician trying to get more money out of your offshore account?

Last time I did a new electrical install (2017), sockets minimum 450mm above floor level, light switches 1200mm above floor level; no regulations on heights of consumer units.

Document M of building regs are for disabled access. The socket thing is for access, so is the light switches. Consumer unit; not there. It would be extremely stupid, and potentially dangerous, to have a consumer unit at that height.

A consumer unit (despite it's name) is not made for the consumer to use. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:26 am

I really think some people are getting the word 'smart' confused with 'intelligent' here.

Smart (as far as technology is concerned) really only refers to being 'connected' to the internet or Wifi.

Your electricity or gas meter really isn't going to spy on you, or limit the power you use. We have Google for that. :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:41 am

pvr wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:46 pm As you know, currently the "best' deals for elec are if you pay by DD only. What is the betting that the next thing is that smart meter only deals will start to make an appearance ...
Makes sense with the current high rates. They can 'monitor' your usage by the minute (mine is every 1/2 hour), so can see a pattern and change your DD accordingly. Nothing wrong with that. It could save you building up lots of credit as you have access to the data aswell via your online account.

I am now taking gas and leccy reading every week, making a note of them to see if my DD is too high, as I have a suspicion they are building a 'credit' amount which I'm not happy with.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Stevo1987

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Stevo1987 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:12 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:41 am
pvr wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:46 pm As you know, currently the "best' deals for elec are if you pay by DD only. What is the betting that the next thing is that smart meter only deals will start to make an appearance ...

Makes sense with the current high rates. They can 'monitor' your usage by the minute (mine is every 1/2 hour), so can see a pattern and change your DD accordingly. Nothing wrong with that. It could save you building up lots of credit as you have access to the data aswell via your online account.

I am now taking gas and leccy reading every week, making a note of them to see if my DD is too high, as I have a suspicion they are building a 'credit' amount which I'm not happy with.

[/quote This is certainly what Bulb (who are in administration are doing).
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:41 am

Not 100% sure but I think they are only legally entitled to keep a max of £150 of credit or one months DD. We have asked for credit back twice now and each timee it hasn't been a problem with money being back in our account by the end of the month.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:18 pm

When I moved house recently it already had Smart meters installed.

Supplier was Eon, who I was with at my previous house. When I called them with bank details to pay by DD they suggested paying the same amount each month, which is how the account gets to be in credit for much of the year!

I said I wanted the same as I had before, monthly DD but for what I've used based on readings. I'd rather have the money in my account that theirs. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by MikeyH » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:30 pm

We are with eon and they changed our meter over because it was leaking gas a little. Something was wrong with the change over however and eon didn't get the readings for both. This caused one hell of a hassle as they were charging by the square metre and now the square foot or the other way around. I don't know but my poor wife spent weeks and hours pouring over the dam bills, trying to get the useless bast*rds to sort it out as our bill shot up as did our DDs. Luckily my wife is a very persevering soul and would not give up so eventually it has been sorted out. So NO I don't want to have the bl88dy thing changed again for some stupid so called smart thing. :headbang: :thumbsdown:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:58 pm

Maybe some of the 'older' members would be re-assured if the energy companies offered 'smart yards' instead of 'smart meters' :rofl: :rofl:

I know; I'm hilarious. :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:00 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:54 pm Not 100% sure but I think they are only legally entitled to keep a max of £150 of credit or one months DD. We have asked for credit back twice now and each timee it hasn't been a problem with money being back in our account by the end of the month.
I know this may sound strange but EDF only give the option of increasing my DD on their website, not reducing it. :? Must be an oversight on their part. :wink:
If I get a spare couple of days I may ring them and ask.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:55 am

Going back to this - how do they remotely switch it off as per below article if it is only a meter? I understand they can just change the tariff but you don’t need a meter for that.

131948DE-7086-44DD-B7B3-8571A33D0351.jpeg
131948DE-7086-44DD-B7B3-8571A33D0351.jpeg (101.37 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by MikeyH » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:05 pm

I have also seen or read somewhere that the energy companies can raise or lower the cost per unit depending on the consumer’s usage at different times of the day.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

smorris_12

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by smorris_12 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:59 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:55 am Going back to this - how do they remotely switch it off as per below article if it is only a meter?
These are pre-pay meters (which inherently include the switch gear) that have been reset to run as credit meters being switched back remotely to pre-pay mode.

Now this is an interesting question about what comes as part of a standard smart meter nowadays. I've been assuming they're credit only. It's not occurred to me to look to see if they include the pre-pay gubbins instead.

Prepay meters have switching gear in them
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

pvr
Legend
Legend

Compulsory smart meters?

Post by pvr » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:43 pm

The article seems to imply that a “normal” smart meter was switched to a pre pay meter remotely. That would mean that the gear has to be in every smart meter I guess as it would be a bit odd that only suspect customers would get a smart meter which could be remotely controlled.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo