Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retrofiitting the "Extended Lighting" package to my E89 Sport 30i

How-To articles are in here.
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi all

A while back I retrofitted the Extended Lighting package to my E89, and I tried to document the process as much as possible. You could get away with a much less elaborate way of wiring it up but I wanted to be able to remove the wiring if I wanted to so went the extra mile so to speak.

I can't upload a PDF so here is a link to it on my Dropbox account - if anyone has any idea on how I can make a more permanent home for the file then please do let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/46fgwdp46ft02 ... t.pdf?dl=0

Cheers
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:08 pm

That’s a very nice write up :thumbsup:
You could copy and then paste into a post, I quickly tried copying with my iPhone but it wouldn’t let me select everything in one go, whether you can do it all on a pc I’m not sure.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 am

Really nice write-up that :thumbsup:
As I've just done some of this I'm impressed as to the length you've gone to. I dispensed with the rear speaker lights and forgot about the inner door handles, but was considering doing the outer handle LED's but found it a pain to get to the mechanism just for a light I probably would ignore anyway, so just went for the puddle lights and footwell lights as these are of use. And as I now have iDrive obviously didn't do the top cubby light either.

I've filmed all of this for my YouTube channel and will have a video out in the coming months, but would love to link back to this post if you're happy for that?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:04 am

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 am Really nice write-up that :thumbsup:
As I've just done some of this I'm impressed as to the length you've gone to. I dispensed with the rear speaker lights and forgot about the inner door handles, but was considering doing the outer handle LED's but found it a pain to get to the mechanism just for a light I probably would ignore anyway, so just went for the puddle lights and footwell lights as these are of use. And as I now have iDrive obviously didn't do the top cubby light either.

I've filmed all of this for my YouTube channel and will have a video out in the coming months, but would love to link back to this post if you're happy for that?
Sure! Honoured to - I've seen all the videos ;)

Thanks
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:01 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:56 pm

Great effort and something I would like to do one day, thank you
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:21 pm

Hey,

What did you do for Pin 35 from the FRM module? If you do not have the lights package the pin is already occupied by the interior reading lamp ("ceiling" one).

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:28 pm

I did the full retrofit (including exterior door handles) for my car, as per my previous message, note that pin 35 from the FRM is unused even if BMW's diagram says it is.. :). Also, it's a PITA to do this retrofit.. it eats up a lot of time if you want to do it right. (I had bought a 2nd hand main wiring harness and I got the required wiring from it and just added that into my car, same for the door harness - I took two 2nd hand door harnses, I dismantled them and added them to my car.)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:14 pm

I’m really impressed..people with more time, more focus, more determination than I ever could muster…respect :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..