Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cracking on the strut tower. Seam sealer?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
vaz4

Post by vaz4 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:41 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:45 pm ‘bmw e85 strut tower cracking” Into Google
I’ve been researching this for days and you think I haven’t done that? Lol, sheesh……. Feel free to post links since you know so many examples. Again, I am not referring to some of the documented issues with the top mounts and brace. This is obviously not a common issue

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:00 pm

vaz4 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:41 pm
I’ve been researching this for days and you think I haven’t done that? Lol, sheesh……. Feel free to post links since you know so many examples. Again, I am not referring to some of the documented issues with the top mounts and brace. This is obviously not a common issue
As others have said, without scraping the sealant away to see the metal you will never know for sure..yes there are lots of top mounts cracking but I see others with cracks elsewhere..given the known flexing of the tower structure and how metal fatigue is insidious I wass proferring a view on the side of caution..if you've owned the car from new then maybe you know its history, otherwise who knows what and whyen and how often the structures have been stressed...

You should take a chill pill..folks here are only trying to help...
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

vaz4

Post by vaz4 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:54 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:00 pm
vaz4 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:41 pm
As others have said, without scraping the sealant away to see the metal you will never know for sure..yes there are lots of top mounts cracking but I see others with cracks elsewhere..given the known flexing of the tower structure and how metal fatigue is insidious I wass proferring a view on the side of caution..if you've owned the car from new then maybe you know its history, otherwise who knows what and whyen and how often the structures have been stressed...

You should take a chill pill..folks here are only trying to help...
A chill pill? For simply replying to your smart*** reply asking for the links you keep referring to? I’ve highly appreciated the helpful responses I’ve received and I’m on here to help document an issue I have barely seen on these cars. I don’t need to deal with some stereotypical forum bully…. I’ll be going forward with most of everyone’s suggestions to chip it away and check to be safe and will be reporting this back to as many sites and I’ve been apart of since owning the car. Hoping this will get everyone checking their own car as I have no idea how long these have been there and I will hopefully be able to guide anyone through their own diagnosis. I just wanted to get as much information as possible and experiences as possible before I go hacking away at this stuff. Like you said, this is relatively common on older bmws but as rockhopper said it’s almost non existent on these cars. Hoping it ends up being nothing bad.