Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport setting

Discussing the current generation Z4
IZB

Sport setting

Post by IZB » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi folks.

I’m trying to figure out the difference between the Sport and the Sport+ settings. the BMW manual is pretty vague about what actually changes, for instance is DTC switched off in the + setting?

ori

Sport setting

Post by ori » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:20 pm

As far as I’m aware the dct doesn’t switch off in sport plus setting.

In sport you get sharper throttle response, tougher suspension, and the gearbox holds the gears longer. In sport plus it’s all of the above but the gears really hold even longer. It also allows more slip on the traction control. Oh and steering stiffens up in sport mode.

IZB

Sport setting

Post by IZB » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 am

Thanks Ori, so basically Sports+ is more intense 👍 but the safety features remain in all settings.

ori

Sport setting

Post by ori » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am

On the g29 they do, but loosen up a bit I believe.

I’m hoping someone more technical will give better info! ;)

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Sport setting

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:43 am

ori wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am On the g29 they do, but loosen up a bit I believe.

I’m hoping someone more technical will give better info! ;)
Having just done the Pyrenees I can confirm they do “loosen things up a bit” :rofl: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

q96169we

Sport setting

Post by q96169we » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:11 am

If you go to sport individual configuration page, you will notice that engine, gearbox has comfort, sport and sport+ whereas steering and chassis only have comfort and sport.
    Basically, for engine, sport+ will give you more aggressive throttle response than sport which is more aggressive than comfort. Both sport and sport+ will open the valve and change the map so that it will be louder and pop a tiny bit.
    Then, gearbox sport+ will hold on to gear longer than sport and shift more aggressivly than sport. Also, it will disable the auto upshift.
    About the DSC, it's now can be configured individually than the driving mode. You can enable DTC even in any driving mode or disable the DSC in any driving mode as well.

ori

Sport setting

Post by ori » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:20 pm

q96169we, what does moving the gear shift to left do to engine and gearbox? I think it holds the gears even more in that mode.
    So even in normal, you can have the gearbox in sport mode by shifting to the left sport mode.

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sport setting

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:51 pm

ori wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:20 pm q96169we, what does moving the gear shift to left do to engine and gearbox? I think it holds the gears even more in that mode.
    So even in normal, you can have the gearbox in sport mode by shifting to the left sport mode.
    One thing it does is stop it “auto shifting” up when it hits the limiter so allows you to hold gears exactly like a manual, don’t ask me how I know :wink: :D

We had a long discussion about this between myself and the manual drivers on the Pyrenees trip when we were discussing the pro’s/cons of the G29. I then tried all permutations over the next few days and came to the result it can be driven like a manual gear-change wise :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Sport setting

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:20 pm

On my 440 (with the same drivetrain as an M40), you can leave everything in 'normal'; then turning the DSC off manually opens the exhaust valve. I presume the G29 would be the same. I do it all the time cos I'm an anti-social git (and it saves wear on the rear brakes). :thumbsup:
      All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
      Mazda3 sold
      Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

q96169we

Sport setting

Post by q96169we » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:55 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:20 pm On my 440 (with the same drivetrain as an M40), you can leave everything in 'normal'; then turning the DSC off manually opens the exhaust valve. I presume the G29 would be the same. I do it all the time cos I'm an anti-social git (and it saves wear on the rear brakes). :thumbsup:
      No you can't. On G29, the valve control logic is speed, gear, and driving mode related. Even if you are in sport+ with DSC in DTC or OFF mode, but within a certain speed and gear window, the valve is still closed. On the other hand, even if you are in comfort or ECO Pro mode, the valve can still be opened in certain speed and gear window. I think this is related to how the EU regulation defines the noise measure procedure.

q96169we

Sport setting

Post by q96169we » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:06 pm

ori wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:20 pm q96169we, what does moving the gear shift to left do to engine and gearbox? I think it holds the gears even more in that mode.
      That's a mode defined in the gearbox instead of body domain control (BDC). I personally consider the BDC driving mode is like a set of global parameters passed into each individual component whereas S selector position only a local set of parameters affect itself only. Those two set of parameters can have some overlap but will also have some difference. For example, BDC mode has four parameters passed into gearbox (assume A, B, C, D). Then, gearbox S position has also four parameters to change (assume A, B, C, E). In this example, if you only put the selector to S, parameter D will still in default one whereas if you select sport+ mode, D will be changed as well. Similar story for parameter E as well. Sorry if this example is a bit more confusing than it already is. :headbang:

If I remember correctly, you can consider the main difference between D and S position is disable/enable launch control. I think even if you are in sport+ with DTC, if the gear selector is still in D, you still can't engage the launch control when other conditions are met.

Mehra2343c

Sport setting

Post by Mehra2343c » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:30 am

the safety features remain in all settings.

q96169we

Sport setting

Post by q96169we » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:15 pm

Mehra2343c wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:30 am the safety features remain in all settings.
      Long press the green circle button will turn them off. Or, you can set to individual and configure the individual to turn off certain features.

ori

Sport setting

Post by ori » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 am

q96169we, so today I put it in sports plus mode and then shifted the gear lever to the left and the car dropped a gear. So even in sports plus there is an extra sport mode. ;)

q96169we

Sport setting

Post by q96169we » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:49 am

ori wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:12 am q96169we, so today I put it in sports plus mode and then shifted the gear lever to the left and the car dropped a gear. So even in sports plus there is an extra sport mode. ;)
      But, it will upshift if you don't keep pushing hard, which will match whatever gear the car was in when you are in sport+.

My finding of the control logic when switching driving mode is that each time you put the car into a more aggressive mode, the gear box will drop one gear firstly unless it's in the lowest possible gear under current speed. Then, the gearbox will try to keep the engine rpm in a certain range if not pushing. For example, if you are in 7th gear in comfort at 1200rpm. Comfort -> sport will drop to 6th. Sport -> sport+ will drop to 5th. Gear lever then change from D -> S/M will drop to 4th. Now, let's say you keep driving normally at constant speed, the car will then shift back from 4th -> 5 or 6th to keep the rpm within a certain range (sport is around 2000-2500rpm, sport+ is around 2500-3500rpm, gear lever to S/M is also around 2500-3500).