Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New from Wichita KS

First port of call for new members
OneFastMac

New from Wichita KS

Post by OneFastMac » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi all! I just picked up a lovely Bright Red 2004 3.0i manual roadster from Ohio, drove it back home, and I'm really starting to delve into the car to assess everything that is "wrong" with it. I've been a Ford guy for the past 20 years, this is my first BMW! It handled the 860mile trip home like a champ!

I've read some interesting info about the CDV being a part that many people remove. I think I would like to remove it eventually, but as my boyfriend is also driving the car and he is not as experienced with manual transmissions as I am, I believe it best to keep it intact for now.

The car has aftermarket wheels, DRAG brand (I don't know her) 17x7.5 with the oe spec 225/45r17 tires (Waterfall brand?? We're getting Contis asap) Some aftermarket audio (see more below), some kind of aftermarket shifter. Maybe a short shifter kit? I'm not well-versed enough in the Z4, let alone BMW to know what's what, but it definitely is not stock, and a plethora of cracked and broken plastic bits. The top works though! Which was a major factor in my decision to buy this one.

My first priority is the audio in the car. I knew going into the sale that it had an aftermarket head unit installed and an aftermarket amplifier. What I did NOT know was that a previous owner really hacked the OEM amp harness up to pieces wiring in their 1100w Walmart amp and Pioneer head unit. Only the right channel audio plays, but it plays through all 10 speakers... There was NO INLINE FUSE between the amp and the power source so I immediately pulled the fuse from the amp and currently have no audio at all. I haven't had the courage to check the head unit wiring situation, but my assumptions are that it will be an entirely new mess to deal with.

My goal with the car is to get it as close to OEM as possible while also taking into consideration the modifications and quality of life improvements that owners have done over the last two decades. So, while I see plenty of threads and posts about aftermarket audio solutions, I'm curious if anyone can point me in the direction of information about "repairing" my audio system to get back to OEM spec? I'd appreciate any guidance!

Other than that, I'm thrilled to be a Z4 owner and I'm looking forward to reading up on what everyone else is doing with their cars :)
Bright Red 2004 3.0i Manual

OneFastMac

New from Wichita KS

Post by OneFastMac » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:04 pm

I should have put these in the first post! I've never had a red car before, but I've been detailing cars for about 15 years, give or take. I'm looking forward to really making it shine!
RedZed4_2.jpg
RedZed4_2.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 595 times
RedZed4_1.jpg
RedZed4_1.jpg (184 KiB) Viewed 595 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New from Wichita KS

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:35 pm

Lovely 8) :thumbsup: Welcome to the board. :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New from Wichita KS

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:37 pm

Welcome aboard.
That is most definitely red! Epic journey to collect it too. Well done.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

New from Wichita KS

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Hello and welcome, I like a red E85 :thumbsup:

Re the CDV removal, that may help him rather than hinder him, makes pull away and gear changes smoother normally

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

New from Wichita KS

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:18 pm

Welcome!

Lovely colour..or should I say color… :tumbleweed:

Look forward to a proper antenna as part of the restoration :thumbsup:
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

New from Wichita KS

Post by MikeyH » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, lovely looking car. Don't listen to the Mr Whippy crowd, :poke: keep the nice stumpy, makes the car look years younger. :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: Oh and what is that on the transmission tunnel between the seats? Not seen that before, all I have there is somewhere to put loose change. Unless the wife gets it first :rofl:
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

OneFastMac

New from Wichita KS

Post by OneFastMac » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:15 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:28 pm Oh and what is that on the transmission tunnel between the seats? Not seen that before, all I have there is somewhere to put loose change.
    I believe it was optioned with BMW's built-in phone, one of the buttons under the clear plastic has a phone and a wrench, the other has a phone and "SOS" printed on it. I'm not really sure how the system is incorporated, they're certainly not functional for any reason now.

smorris_12

New from Wichita KS

Post by smorris_12 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:28 pm

Ropey example of a high end car?

Bought from out of state?

Butchered electrics?

Wichita, Kansas?

You are Hoovie, AICMFD (And I Claim My $5) :D :D
    ------
    Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

OneFastMac

New from Wichita KS

Post by OneFastMac » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:03 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:28 pm You are Hoovie
    No, but I DO know the Car Ninja! :D That's got to be worth at least $2.50.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

New from Wichita KS

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum with your Red Z4. :thumbsup:

860 miles - that's some drive home!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black