Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

lightweight car covers

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by mr.tourette » Mon May 30, 2022 10:29 am

Anyone have any experience of lightweight outdoor covers.. I already own a Stormforce which is great over the winter lay off but Im specifically after something thats very easy on/off over the rest of the year.. Im tired of constantly cleaning the car only to come out a few days later to find it so full of dust it looks filthy when its not even been driven.. if anyone has any recommendations of a great lightweight outdoor cover thats easy to throw on and take off Id be extremely grateful
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

SonnyA85

lightweight car covers

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:10 am

mr.tourette wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:29 am Anyone have any experience of lightweight outdoor covers.. I already own a Stormforce which is great over the winter lay off but Im specifically after something thats very easy on/off over the rest of the year.. Im tired of constantly cleaning the car only to come out a few days later to find it so full of dust it looks filthy when its not even been driven.. if anyone has any recommendations of a great lightweight outdoor cover thats easy to throw on and take off Id be extremely grateful
I was told covers will mark the car from flapping in the wind. Nothing you can do apart from garage it or get a carport I imagine. I have been looking at a carport myself, my garage is going to be converted soon after the garden is finished plus it's full of stuff so I'm currently just washing the car every weekend but a car port I am hoping will stop birds from pooing on it as they fly over ahead, etc.

If you get yourself Bilt Hamber Touchless and/or Autoglym Polar Wash and a decent foam cannon and pressure washer you can literally wash your car in 20 minutes and 10 of those minutes is just waiting for the pre-wash to do its thing. A car shouldn't require a full proper clean every weekend especially if it hasn't been driven unless you are really anal about detailing. I imagine if it hasn't been driven it could even be done inside 10 minutes with just snow foam and power rinse.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by mr.tourette » Mon May 30, 2022 11:41 am

Thanks but.. 1) I've used covers for the last 10 years with no issues with marking
2) If i clean my car at the weekend Id like it to remain clean.. its a very dark colour so shows up everything.. it was washed last weekend and is filthy now with just one drive to work and back on a sunny day.. my daily which is silver and hasn't been washed in a month and has been driven through all weathers looks cleaner
3)Ive got a garage full of detailing products as well as pressure washers and snow foam cannons.. as posted Id like a lightweight cover for the car.. Im not that anal about detailing, Id be happy to clean the car every weekend if its getting dirty from use but when it gets dirty just from being parked up it grips my s**t and id like to avoid that.. a car port would solve my issues mostly but not doable on my house unfortunately.
4) I dont believe there is such a thing as a touchless wash.. if there was I wouldn't be making this post

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

lightweight car covers

Post by B21 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 pm

I had the genuine BMW lightweight cover..worked well for what you envisage..nicely elasticated, folded up very compactly..since I (still) have no garage upgraded to a Stormforce heavy duty and sold it here on the Forum..

Looked like it was designed for keeping your fleet dust and bird poo free in your undeground bunker.
Attachments
2019-11-06 14.15.36.jpg
2019-11-06 14.15.36.jpg (303.61 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by mr.tourette » Mon May 30, 2022 1:11 pm

B21 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 pm I had the genuine BMW lightweight cover..worked well for what you envisage..nicely elasticated, folded up very compactly..since I (still) have no garage upgraded to a Stormforce heavy duty and sold it here on the Forum..

Looked like it was designed for keeping your fleet dust and bird poo free in your undeground bunker.
:thumbsup: Thats the kind of thing im after Peter... was it waterproof?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by B21 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:15 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:11 pm
B21 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 pm I had the genuine BMW lightweight cover..worked well for what you envisage..nicely elasticated, folded up very compactly..since I (still) have no garage upgraded to a Stormforce heavy duty and sold it here on the Forum..

It was AFAICT..obviously especially up here you get condensation anyway..no scratches or anything..good compromise for touring / temporary covering etc..

May get another when my garage is eventually errected this summer...
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by mr.tourette » Mon May 30, 2022 1:25 pm

B21 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:15 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:11 pm

It was AFAICT..obviously especially up here you get condensation anyway..no scratches or anything..good compromise for touring / temporary covering etc..

May get another when my garage is eventually errected this summer...
Assume you have to go direct to bmw?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by B21 » Mon May 30, 2022 1:50 pm

JustWantAclassic

lightweight car covers

Post by JustWantAclassic » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:53 am

Might not keep the dust off, but I keep a budge car cover on year round, and my cat climbs all over it.

Even with his grubby claws i haven't had a new scratch after purchasing the car, other than curbing the wheels.

Griffo46

lightweight car covers

Post by Griffo46 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:14 am

I’m after a car cover too, would love a garage or car port but I don’t have the best place for one. I was considering one of these pop up ones on my front grass though, cost more than a cover obviously but may be an idea if you have space.

https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/product ... -5x3x2-4m/
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

Christopher72

lightweight car covers

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:03 am

I have the indoor cover for dust when storing. Works double duty as a throw blanket on the sofa when you're cold :lol: . 2" stubby antenna works well with this cover.

82-11-2-157-319 2009-2016 BMW Z4 Form-Fit® Indoor Car Cover

This body-hugging- custom fit cover pampers your Z4s finish. Crafted from polyester knit with spandex and featuring pure cotton loop added to the inside of the knit- sheared to a soft- fleece-like finish. This cover also has mirror pockets and elastic in front and rear hem that holds the cover in place. Machine washable.

The outdoor cover equivalent is 82-11-2-157-090
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

lightweight car covers

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:29 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:03 am I have the indoor cover for dust when storing. Works double duty as a throw blanket on the sofa when you're cold . 2" stubby antenna works well with this cover.

82-11-2-157-319 2009-2016 BMW Z4 Form-Fit® Indoor Car Cover
I don't think they do those for right hand drive cars, though! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!