Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight adjusting not working. non xenon

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
beemer

Post by beemer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:47 am

Hi, I've been trawling through lots of post, but can't seem to find my problem, so wondered if any of you wonderful people might know?

I have the halogen headlights, so no self leveling stuff, however the interior adjuster makes no difference to the lights level.
When the lights are on you can hear/see the lights trying to adjust.
This is happening on both lights simultaneously making me think it's not a broken unit and maybe something else.

Has anyone had anything similar, or point me to anothrr thread?

Thanks.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Headlight adjusting not working. non xenon

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Are they at their lowest setting? i.e. do they rise up when started?
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

beemer

Post by beemer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes, they are at their lowest and they don't rise or do the up down motion on startup. They just click constantly like they're trying to move. Makes no difference where the interior adjuster wheel is moved.

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Halogen dont self level - only the Xenons. Change in the level is caused by the interior adjustment to vary the height with a change in load (I think) :?
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 pm

They don't self level but they do park in the lowest position then cycle to setting. If it sounds like it is trying to do that then the LCM must be sending commands correctly. If I'm honest I wouldn't know where to start trying to fault find aside from check for fault codes then whip the lights out to see if there was anything disconnected :|
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

beemer

Post by beemer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Hooked it up to laptop and no codes come up, so guess next thing is to just take them off and have a good old route about.
As has been said, non Xenons don't self level, you have to use the adjuster on the lcm, but they do physical move up and down on start up, and when adjusting.

Obviously not a common problem, so will see what I can find this weekend.

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:39 pm

have you checked the settings of the manual adjustment screws on the headlights ? You may have them set so the internal adjustment screw cannot alter the level?

previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:59 pm

My drivers side headlight beam has been stuck down for a while now. Haven't got a clue what the problem is but the passenger side one adjusts perfectly fine.

It got stuck down last year and magically fixed itself after a few weeks (i could hear the clicking like you can). Now it's completely dead and no amount of wheel turning inside the car will fix it :cry:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Well I found out why it isn't working. A torx screw has come loose and the whole inner is basically free to move all over the place :lol:

Luckily I was able to tighten it up and all is now functioning as it should! Result.

Bloody bmw's!
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

beemer

Post by beemer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks Ben G, will definitely give that a go, sounds a likely culprit! Didn't get a chance to whip the bumper off today, so will have a go tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

bony_13

Post by bony_13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Think I have the same problem with my xenons (pre-facelift) which seem way too high all of a sudden and are getting me flashed. Will try and listen for the clicking and check for travel on manual adjustment. Otherwise, when added to the ginger indicators it's another tick in the box for going aftermarket headlights.

beemer

Post by beemer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Well I'm little stumped..

Took the lamps out, all move fine on the adjusters, tried another known good Iight and it does the same thing with the clicking solonoid, so now think it is a problem with the lcm!

Have just unplugged the electric adjustment and adjusted manually on the light itself for now until I figure out what could be wrong. :thumbsdown:

e85n52b25

Post by e85n52b25 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:55 pm

beemer wrote: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm Took the lamps out, all move fine on the adjusters, tried another known good Iight and it does the same thing with the clicking solonoid, so now think it is a problem with the lcm!
Hi beemer, I have the same issue, did you fix yours?
2007 2.5si Mpack

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:58 pm

Hi,e85n52b25, welcome to the forum. Sorry can’t help you with your lights but someone no doubt will :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

e85n52b25

Post by e85n52b25 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:39 am

Turns out it was a faulty contact in the 4 pin connector of one of the adjuster motors.
Changing the motor fixed it for a day, then the fault came back. Jiggling the wires on the connector fixes it for a while.
2007 2.5si Mpack