Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reasonable priced Uk scanner for battery registration.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
philip hedley

Post by philip hedley » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:46 pm

Looks like my battery is on the way out. Can anyone recommend a UK reasonably priced (i.e., cheaper the better 😬) scanner to register a battery change to my Z4 (and possibly other cars) and do some fault diagnosis and maybe teach a valvetronic motor its limits on my daughters mini one R56/N12?
A lot of people seem to use the autophix 5900 or similar, I'm not sure what it can do or if there is better or cheaper out there.

TIA

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:28 pm

If you have an android device or wiling to buy one then your ‘best’ tool is Bimmergeeks Protool..

It’s far far more powerful than the basic diagnostic tools but still relatively user friendly and will work on all Minis as well as all E89s..

I have a foxwell 520, ISTA and Protool ..95 out of 10mm it’s Protool I use :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Raymcm

Post by Raymcm » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:39 pm

Carista app can do it but it's currently in the beta version. £9.99 for a one month licence

philip hedley

Post by philip hedley » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:57 pm

I've looked at the carista and a couple more.
Carista seems to have a lot of bolt ons you have to pay extra for.
Have you (or anyone else) had experience and could recommend any of the free software packages ie IPNA/NCS Expert that can do battery registration? Might be a cheaper option loading something onto a laptop.

TIA

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:46 pm

There's an Android app that will do it for free just using a cheapo ELM327 Bluetooth adapter. It was just a freebie project by an enthusiast that was never released in the UK app store but you can download and install it by downloading it and installing it from online apk repositories. This one works (https://apkgk.com/com.chesapeakemotorwe ... rieverfree).

Personally I would pay the money for Pro Tool (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... immergeeks) and a cable from them. Would cost you roughly £150 for everything but it will be a life saver when owning an old BMW.