Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bimmercode ??

Discussing the current generation Z4
hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Bimmercode ??

Post by hopz121 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:23 pm

I use an MHD adaptor with my bimmercode / bimmer link app with IOS.

One word of caution though, i wouldnt code anything if you are under warranty with BMW, they are cracking down on this big time and it will show up straight away that its been tampered with!
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

KrusteKlubba

Bimmercode ??

Post by KrusteKlubba » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Thanks ASD was what I was thinking. I’ve another year warranty left so will probably hold back any coding as BMW seem to be hyper vigilant on mods.

q96169we

Bimmercode ??

Post by q96169we » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:07 pm

KrusteKlubba wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm Thanks ASD was what I was thinking. I’ve another year warranty left so will probably hold back any coding as BMW seem to be hyper vigilant on mods.
I'm not trying to persuade or encourge anyone to code their car. But based on my understanding, coding the car does not categorised as mods as everything is still within the design spec. If anything is outside the design spec, then those things won't even appear in the coding option.

I coded all my BMWs including mini. No issue with warranty so far (even when I code 2TB - Sport Auto to a non sport auto car then the gearbox threw some errors).

ori

Bimmercode ??

Post by ori » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:53 pm

hopz121 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:23 pm I use an MHD adaptor with my bimmercode / bimmer link app with IOS.

One word of caution though, i wouldnt code anything if you are under warranty with BMW, they are cracking down on this big time and it will show up straight away that its been tampered with!
I wouldn’t tell anyone what to do, but coding with BMW is fine. in fact BMW code the car themselves if they need to code a replacement part in.
Not had any issues with them as they are car parameters.
Mapping on the other hand……BMW are cracking down hard on that.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Bimmercode ??

Post by hopz121 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:08 am

ori wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:53 pm
hopz121 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:23 pm I use an MHD adaptor with my bimmercode / bimmer link app with IOS.

I wouldn’t tell anyone what to do, but coding with BMW is fine. in fact BMW code the car themselves if they need to code a replacement part in.
That’s not the case so I wouldn’t be advising anyone it’s fine. If you are under warranty it’s your risk plenty of info about it all on the internet. Same with these “undetectable plug in tuning boxes” :lol:
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

ori

Bimmercode ??

Post by ori » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:52 pm

hopz121 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:08 am
ori wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:53 pm

That’s not the case so I wouldn’t be advising anyone it’s fine. If you are under warranty it’s your risk plenty of info about it all on the internet. Same with these “undetectable plug in tuning boxes” :lol:
Interesting as BMW dealership offered to use bimmercode to code stuff for me at the time I picked up my car.

In theory you can invalidate you warranty on a specific item. Say for example you coded the car to start in sport mode and it got stuck in sport mode. They could argue that you caused it. It’s a long shot for them as coding is simply switching on/off factory settings.

I’ve gone to my bmw dealership with my Carly readouts and the dealership has no problem with it.

I’ve coded all my bmw and never had an issue.

That said, you do at your own risk.

ori

Bimmercode ??

Post by ori » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:26 pm

Found this info and it matched what I knew already.

Anyways, BMW arranges each individual option and its corresponding coding configurations, with a three or four digit character, at the factory.

So, say your vehicle has the Comfort Access feature, it would be saved, as one file, per se, as "S322" under the factory's vehicle order or VO.

VO coding means using a much more intricate program, to dig into the computer mapping and add or remove said features (as the factory did), via its "Vehicle Order" instead of using something like the Bimmercode APP, where alternatively, you make individual changes, to add or remove features.

Say I want to "VO code" in Comfort Access to my vehicle, that didn't come with it originally.

Instead of going into Bimmercode's "Expert mode' and make individual coding changes, to add/remove this option, I could instead "VO code" file "S322" and it would add/remove all those required coding changes, in one fell swoop.

The problem with the VO coding method is if a BMW franchise dealer ever has to do a software update or a new part integration, which is required, to complete and bill some warranty covered repairs. Incidentally, their system does a checks of your original "Vehicle Order" against any or our hypothetically, self-added "S322" option and detects any potential discrepancies.

It's not even a "gotcha" but more of a fail-safe and integrity check. So, by design, it would generate an error, which is a dead giveaway that you messed with the original vehicle order and programming.

But VO coding does give you a ton more flexibility and intricate changes, over the APP, which is its whole advantage.

With something less invasive like the Bimmercode APP, you don't actually add a file, (or i.e. VO code), you merely making changes, to a file that already exists, in the original vehicle order, so it doesn't trigger a mapping mismatch.

I hope this wasn't too nerdy and explained it a bit.

KrusteKlubba

Bimmercode ??

Post by KrusteKlubba » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Ori thanks that was useful :)