Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ADD Active Cruise to 2019 s30i ?

Discussing the current generation Z4
OldSchool

Post by OldSchool » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:41 am

Hello!

I searched before posting - sorry if I missed this topic.. have to think I'm not the only one wanting this..

Have a 2019 (1/2019 build 12/2019 in service) Z4 30i with options as shown in attachment.. Love the car BUT

is there ANY way to add Active Cruise given how my car is optioned?

I assumed the lease for this & have great deal coming up for buyout so if I can't I can't.. but would love it if I could have it somehow..

Appreciate any replies.. thank you!
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.36.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 7.36.09 PM.png (465.17 KiB) Viewed 435 times

baljemmett

Post by baljemmett » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:43 am

It might be possible, but unfortunately it's probably not as straightforward as we'd like it to be. Active Cruise uses a front radar sensor that isn't fitted to cars that don't have it (the other similar functions included in Active Guard are driven by a camera in the base of the rear-view mirror, and parking assistance uses even more sensors still), and although the radar unit itself looks like a reasonable retrofit job I'm not sure how much of the required wiring harness will be in place. Best case you only need the cable from the sensor to a connector behind the bumper, worst case you also need to install that connector and its wiring back to other systems in the car; either way there are also potentially new electronics and/or button modules in the steering wheel to add the +/- buttons either side of the scrollwheel on the left-hand set of controls. Once all the hardware's installed it would hopefully then 'just' be a matter of convincing the car that it now has the option fitted using the relevant diagnostic/coding tools.

Admittedly this is all speculation based on the parts catalogue at realoem.com and some other sources it's best not to mention publically, but what I can say for definite is that when I asked my dealer about retrofitting the parking camera to mine (a broadly similar set of considerations) the answer was "there are independents who might be able to do that for you, but we're not allowed to". You might have better luck if policies are different in your neck of the woods - based on some of the options listed I'm guessing you're in the US, or North America at least.

By the way - welcome to the forum, and we'd love to see some pictures of your car if you fancy dropping a hello in the New Members board!

ori

Post by ori » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:15 am

Would be a nightmare as per above and you would need to replace switchgear on steering wheel on top of sensor mountings.
Then the issue of programming would kick in, but I’m sure some clever people could do that.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 am

Give Szymon (or known as Simon) from Bavarian Coding a message. You can find him on facebook or google. He is amazing at doing this. He retrofitted the comfort massage seat on my G31. Also retrofitted ACC to my friend's G31. We both are very happy.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:02 am

ori wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:15 am Would be a nightmare as per above and you would need to replace switchgear on steering wheel on top of sensor mountings.
Then the issue of programming would kick in, but I’m sure some clever people could do that.
It's easier than you might think. My friend has this retrofitted on his G31 and only took about half days with all original component, mount, cable routing, and obviously the programming. Can't comment on G29 though, but I think it should be very similar.