Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

electric mirror problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
roy0147

electric mirror problems

Post by roy0147 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:51 pm

I hope someone will be able to help me please?
All of the controls work fine except for the 'up' control on the passenger side electric wing mirror. The 'down, left and right' controls are all fine so I assume it is not a fuse issue.
Before I start taking things apart I would welcome any advice as to where I should look - inside the mirror housing or the control unit in the door.
I am not sure how to get to the door control or how to remove the mirror itself to get to the motor behind and cannot find any help from the Forum and I don't have a wiring diagram.
Thanks,
Roy

Zulu4

electric mirror problems

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:42 pm

I had a similar problem. I'd start by looking at the door switch. You should be able to pry it out with a plastic trim removal tool.

Once out, you can carefully dismantle the switch. Watch out for small parts that may ping out. Try cleaning the rocker switch gubbins with electrical contact cleaner (IsoPropyl Alcohol).
If that doesn't work try another switch (I bet Bigwinn or Umfaan has a spare, otherwise ebay).
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

roy0147

electric mirror problems

Post by roy0147 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:52 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. I eventually removed the housing and switches from the driver's door after a struggle (BMW don't make anything easy - earlier I had to get to the handbrake service lock and this was a nightmare!).
I removed the multi plugs and sprayed electrical contact cleaner into the contacts, re-assembled and everything now works fine!