Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M54 engine bay question, rubber flap near firewall??

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:47 pm

Does anyone know what this part does? I noticed the rubber flap indicated at the entrance of this tube was cut so the flap was open when I bought the car and has now dropped off, is this an issue and what does this pipe do?

Thanks for any input

Bob123

Post by Bob123 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:00 am

JSz4 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:47 pm Does anyone know what this part does? I noticed the rubber flap indicated at the entrance of this tube was cut so the flap was open when I bought the car and has now dropped off, is this an issue and what does this pipe do?

Thanks for any input
It's a drain hole for the scuttle, there's another on on the other side of the engine bay, though it looks a bit different.
Pre-facelift E85 3.0i SE with manual gearbox - written off by insurer
Some accessories for sale now and in the future.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:04 am

Heh, I remember asking the exact same question when I got my zed way back when.
Its primary function is to trap leaves and other detritus while letting water drain.
You should inspect behind the flaps regularly and clear as required.
It's also a good idea to unmount the windscreen scuttle every once in a while to inspect for trapped leaves as crud buildup there can can be one of the causes of water ingress into the cabin as in my case.
I posted about placing bunding (using thin weatherstrip) on the underside of the scuttle that mated to a bunding placed on the lower leading edge of the windscreen so any water runs off at the sides, if you can be bothered searching for it.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:23 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Yes I almost asked about this. But realised what it was :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

JSz4

Post by JSz4 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 pm

Thanks for the replies, that's really helpful to finally know what it does! Will give it a go removing the windscreen scuttle as haven't done that in 6 years I've had the car so probably full of rubbish.

Will it cause any issues not having the flap covering the end of that tube do you think?