Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

one touch windows

"M" Specific discussion
VvrooomM

one touch windows

Post by VvrooomM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:34 am

I am sure my Z4MC used to have one touch raising on its two windows. It now only has one touch lower and I have to pull and hold to raise the window.

Have I gone mad or has something failed?
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

gannet
Lifer
Lifer

Re: one touch windows

Post by gannet » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23 am

is that both sides?

mine was one touch down and up on drivers side and one touch down only on the passenger :? Until I got a indy to recode it for me :D

There is a window reset procedure around here somewhere - that might be worth a try?
-- Gannet.
Current: MINI JCW... - Modification: Driver Upgraded :D
Previous: DS3 DSport, Z4 3.0SE, 206 GTi & XS, Alfa 147 Lusso

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 pm

both sides, tried the handbook reset and it made no difference
Z4MC midnight blue with CSL's + VREDs, extd light sepang leather, folding mirrors, stubby aerial, retro bluetooth, prof nav, intravee ipod kit, storage and cup holders!!, laser LRC100, DSP hi-fi, storage and privacy.....is that it?

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 pm

you need to carry out the window reset procedure, just do a search for it :thumbsup:

VvrooomM

Post by VvrooomM » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:14 pm

i did the reset as per owners handbook before posting and it did not work!!!

looked in all the how to sections here and could not find it, eventually found something after using search and cobbled something together which worked - now got both sides operational again.

THANKS!!

Z4Kevo

Post by Z4Kevo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 am

There are several procedures for this...not sure which one to use..so I tried them all. I don't even remember which one worked for but one of the below procedures did...posted it here for posterity

PROCEDURE #1
To de-initialize the windows:

Close both doors.
Lower both windows completely.
Immediately push the window switch down 4 times within 10 seconds.
Check that the automatic one-touch is not working.
To initialize the power windows:

Connect a battery charger to the vehicle. You don't need this step
Close both doors and the soft top (or hardtop installed).
Raise windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Lower the windows 100 mm or approximately 4 inches.
Raise the windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Close the windows using the one-touch feature function and ensure that this works correctly.
Check the anti-trap function by inserting a plastic rod with a diameter greater than 6 mm in the left side window between the door window and the soft-top/hardtop and then close the window with the one touch function. If the function is OK, the anti-trap function will respond.
Repeat step 8 above for the right side window.
Clear the "scaling fault" stored in the General module.
Note: Any brief interruption in performing the above steps may require for the entire initialization procedure to be repeated.

**********************************************************************************

PROCEDURE #2
Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer

**********************************************************************************

PROCEDURE #3
Basically, BMW's power windows have a "position memory," which tells them where the window should be in the opening & closing sequence. Sometimes, if that sequence is interrupted, or if the battery is disconnected, or even for no apparent reason at all, they can simply "forget" where they are, and need to be re-set. This happend from time to time in my MINI, but since the window action in the Z4 is tied to the top opening & closing, it seems to be a bit more prone to occasional confusion.

But the good news continues! Barring some major mechanical malfunction, this is usually nothing that requires a trip to any dealer, nor anything more than about 30 seconds of your own time. Here's how easy it is:

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, "Remember where we are now? Good."

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if you like.

andrewn80

Post by andrewn80 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

^^ Thank you Kevo! I found that procedure #3 worked for me. :thumbsup:

IK.

Post by IK. » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Bookmarked for trying...!
Currently car-less!
Previous: Z4 3.0si Coupe & Z4M Roadster
Plus a few others!

Fragga

Post by Fragga » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:05 pm

I have noticed when I open the passenger door of my MC that the window doesn't open slightly like the drivers door does (and close slightly on closing the door). Would any of the above procedures reset this as I'm sure it should do?
'07 M Coupe Sapphire Black | Champagne leather | 19" CSLs | Sat Nav | BT | Eibachs -10mm springs | Intravee

VvrooomM

one touch windows

Post by VvrooomM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:24 pm

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Bloody hell, what were the bods at BMW smoking when they come up with that reset procedure!? I'll look forward to trying that later :headbang:
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 E61 535d M-Sport Touring

markos

Post by markos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

I changed my battery and had the same thing :o . To get it to work took many attempts. Do one window at a time. Key in position 1 I think. Window down all the way and hold down for 10 secs. Think I left it then pressed it down for a further 10 secs. Then up and holding for 10, release and hold up again for another 10. That sorted my drivers window.

The turn car off, key in ignition 1 and do the same for passenger window. It worked for me last weekend, lovely to get them working one-touch again! :)
R8 4.2 V8... Previous: Sapphire Black MC | red/black bi-colour heated seats | nav with camera alerts | BT | extended storage | elec folding mirrors | PDC | loudspeaker upgrade | Intravee | CSL reps | Remus backboxes

no fit state

Post by no fit state » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Z4Kevo wrote:There are several procedures for this...not sure which one to use..so I tried them all. I don't even remember which one worked for but one of the below procedures did...posted it here for posterity

PROCEDURE #1
To de-initialize the windows:

Close both doors.
Immediately push the window switch down 4 times within 10 seconds.
Check that the automatic one-touch is not working.
To initialize the power windows:

Connect a battery charger to the vehicle. You don't need this step
Close both doors and the soft top (or hardtop installed).
Raise windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Lower the windows 100 mm or approximately 4 inches.
Raise the windows and hold the switches in the up position for one additional second after the windows reach the top.
Close the windows using the one-touch feature function and ensure that this works correctly.
Check the anti-trap function by inserting a plastic rod with a diameter greater than 6 mm in the left side window between the door window and the soft-top/hardtop and then close the window with the one touch function. If the function is OK, the anti-trap function will respond.
Repeat step 8 above for the right side window.
Clear the "scaling fault" stored in the General module.
Note: Any brief interruption in performing the above steps may require for the entire initialization procedure to be repeated.

PROCEDURE #2
Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!

PROCEDURE #3
Basically, BMW's power windows have a "position memory," which tells them where the window should be in the opening & closing sequence. Sometimes, if that sequence is interrupted, or if the battery is disconnected, or even for no apparent reason at all, they can simply "forget" where they are, and need to be re-set. This happend from time to time in my MINI, but since the window action in the Z4 is tied to the top opening & closing, it seems to be a bit more prone to occasional confusion.

But the good news continues! Barring some major mechanical malfunction, this is usually nothing that requires a trip to any dealer, nor anything more than about 30 seconds of your own time. Here's how easy it is:

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, "Remember where we are now? Good."

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if you like.
Finally after trying every method I could find and hooking my car up to a code reader/programmer and having no success, I now have an auto up drivers window thanks to trying procedure 2 :thumbsup:
Z4MC Imola red

Samurai Tortoise

one touch windows

Post by Samurai Tortoise » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:11 pm

Going to drag up an old post here and I know it's also in the FAQ but thanks again to this forum!

I replaced a temperamental passenger window switch today and it lost the one-touch up function. It worked normally and did one-touch down. Found this post and did the reset using the click to ign1 and open window, hold 10, release and hold 10 again, close window, hold 10, release and hold 10 again and hey presto one-touch up restored!

I should add, although I replaced the passenger switch, I actually did the reset using the drivers side switch for the passenger window and didn't have to perform it on the actual new passenger switch.

Anyway, thanks again and hope bumping this might help someone else.
2006 BMW E85 Z4 2.5i Sport
2015 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade