Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear springs- alignment

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by bigwinn » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi all

Over the years Ive changed and updated several rear suspensions.

I'd say 2 times out of 10 I've been left with a very annoying clunk- most times I've been and checked tightness of ARB bushings, top mounts and the like

However I have a gut feel that its the actual positioning of the spring that causes the noise- and it its not seated or positioned/turned correctly then the noise will happen when the car is traversing uneven ground

Has anyone seen or experience of how the springs should be orientated?

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

1536Z4

Rear springs- alignment

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:59 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:35 pm Has anyone seen or experience of how the springs should be orientated?
Can`t help with orientation but I have had the same issue since fitting coilovers and have checked everything but still get a clonk so it would be interesting if it is a spring position issue .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by bigwinn » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm

Steve and I talked it over and he thinks he has seen a post saying there is deffo a right and wrong way to position

I'll keep you posted
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

1536Z4

Rear springs- alignment

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:05 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm I'll keep you posted
:thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Bob123

Rear springs- alignment

Post by Bob123 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:40 am

bigwinn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm Steve and I talked it over and he thinks he has seen a post saying there is deffo a right and wrong way to position

I'll keep you posted
:thumbsup:
Pre-facelift E85 3.0i SE with manual gearbox - written off by insurer
Some accessories for sale now and in the future.

1536Z4

Rear springs- alignment

Post by 1536Z4 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:10 am

bigwinn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:35 pm positioning of the spring that causes the noise-
Just throwing this out there as I have heard of stranger things but could it be something to do with the rear drop links . When I changed to coilovers I lowered the car and replaced the rear drop links with new bmw ones but could the fact that the car is now lower be putting extra strain on the rear drop links causing the knock ?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by bigwinn » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:01 am

Drop links are ok and free of the metal arms

It’s deffo a spring noise as I managed to recreate it once when manipulating the arm up and down with a jack

EWS Delete PM me

plenty

Rear springs- alignment

Post by plenty » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:20 am

Not experienced this, but could it be when using lowering springs that become loose when suspension is on full droop?

Brouse

Rear springs- alignment

Post by Brouse » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:56 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm Steve and I talked it over and he thinks he has seen a post saying there is deffo a right and wrong way to position

I'll keep you posted
Following with interest as I have this noise also.
2006 Sapphire Black E86

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:00 pm

First time I changed the rear drop links on one I ended up with a clunk, even though nothing was touching.
Rightly or wrongly I had changed them with the suspension drooping (on axle stands, wheels off)
Eventually I ran the rear of the car up on a pair of ramps, loosened everything off and re-did it all with 'weight on wheels'.
Noise went away.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by bigwinn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm

I think we fixed it- almost (still a slight adjustment needed)

The anti roll bar was positioned wrong- too far to the offside. As the car was traversing adverse cambers the bar was fouling on the metal of the ARB bush holder

5mm to the nearside made all the difference

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:43 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm I think we fixed it- almost (still a slight adjustment needed)

The anti roll bar was positioned wrong- too far to the offside. As the car was traversing adverse cambers the bar was fouling on the metal of the ARB bush holder

How odd?
You'd think looking at the way it is mounted that it would centralise itself?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Rear springs- alignment

Post by bigwinn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:56 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:43 pm
bigwinn wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm I think we fixed it- almost (still a slight adjustment needed)

How odd?
You'd think looking at the way it is mounted that it would centralise itself?
We only saw it by putting tension across the back axle when raised up

EWS Delete PM me

1536Z4

Rear springs- alignment

Post by 1536Z4 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:12 pm

bigwinn wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 pm As the car was traversing adverse cambers the bar was fouling on the metal of the ARB bush holder
Will have to check this and if all ok I think I will loosen everything off and try again . :thumbsup: