Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New boiler

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:49 pm

I’m looking to replace my ageing Worcester Bosch with a similar, latest model. The Gas Board quote is some 20% higher than the BOXT company quote. No brainer?

BOXT sound OK, good reviews and links to EDF and Worcester Bosch. Any experience of them?
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Rockhopper

New boiler

Post by Rockhopper » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 pm

Can't you find a local gas safe registered guy to supply and fit? No way would i go to BG for something like that. Fitting a new boiler isn't rocket science if you have right ticket to do it.

Owdgit

New boiler

Post by Owdgit » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:57 pm

I had an online discount code for BOXT if you want to try it to see if it works for you, worth giving it a go.
michelle50exclusive
Didn't end up changing the boiler as it was just the expansion vessel low on pressure, it's still hanging on- famous last words!!
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:16 pm

I dread to think what British Gas has quoted. Guessing £4k plus for a straight swap?
A new sedbuk band 'A' gas boiler, either system (mains pressure) or gravity should cost you around £1,300 and £200 for a new flue (if it's needed) for a 24(ish)kW. Any decent gas registered plumber would replace it in a day easily. They do tend to want to make good money on boiler changes, because they can, but £500-£700 should cover the install.
I wouldn't pay more than £2,500 including VAT. That is buying the boiler yourself.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:16 pm I dread to think what British Gas has quoted. Guessing £4k plus for a straight swap?
A new sedbuk band 'A' gas boiler, either system (mains pressure) or gravity should cost you around £1,300 and £200 for a new flue (if it's needed) for a 24(ish)kW. Any decent gas registered plumber would replace it in a day easily. They do tend to want to make good money on boiler changes, because they can, but £500-£700 should cover the install.
I would expect to pay no more than £2,500 including VAT.
BG quoted around £2700 and BOXT were about £2300 for the same boiler both including HIVE controllers. Either seems reasonable to me, I’m just trying to understand the price difference and whether BOXT are reliable.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:31 pm

I had a quote from British Gas a few years back for a heat only boiler and it was daylight robbery, just off 4.5k, I don't know how they get away with it and mostly they will contract the work out anyways.

Ended up going with a recommended local plumbing company and had a Baxi 800 fitted last February for £2200 all in. Work was done in a day and couldn't fault the fitters. As they were accredited Baxi installers it came with a 10 year warranty. After I said I wanted a Viessmann boiler the fitters persuaded me on the Baxi and glad I went with it now as I understand its one of the quietest boilers on the market, its virtually silent so been pleased with it upto now. Also British made and parts readily available. I discovered with the Viessmann it can take a while to get the parts.

Think I would be wary of any nationwide fitters in getting them back if problems arise so I would definitely go with a reputable local fitter.

Tim.

Colin_E

New boiler

Post by Colin_E » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:44 pm

This:
Rockhopper wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 pm Can't you find a local gas safe registered guy to supply and fit?
Having someone local who will service & come out to fix is worth a lot and as I found to my peril after a bad installation that turned out to have invalidated the warranty (and hadn't been properly registered with Corgi / Building Controls), when stuff goes wrong the contractors who fitted it can't be found & no-one else wants to know.
Lesson learned, so when the shiny not-so-old Worcester Bosch died prematurely (in the middle of December!) we found someone local & trusted & let them know at the outset we'd be taking them on for ongoing service & maintenance as well as replacing the boiler. I looked at Boxt at the time & don't think we paid any more - but YMMV.

jamesditchy

New boiler

Post by jamesditchy » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:29 pm

A baxi 800 series comes with 10 year parts and labour warranty as long as its annually serviced and includes a magnetic filter in the box which is gonna set you back £100 on its own.

I fit a lot of Baxis and they are a great boiler and their warranty service is very good too

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by Pondrew » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:41 pm

dr_john wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:28 pm BG quoted around £2700 and BOXT were about £2300 for the same boiler both including HIVE controllers. Either seems reasonable to me, I’m just trying to understand the price difference and whether BOXT are reliable.
I'm guessing that is a simple swap for that money, as it is actually quite good. :thumbsup:
As far as who you choose; BG use sub-contractors, so will BOXT (chances are it will be the same fitter whoever you pay). The boiler will have a manufacturer's guarantee whoever installs it.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:20 pm

Hmm, forgot to mention that BOXT offer a 10 year guarantee on Worcester Bosch, BG is 5 years on the same boiler!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

New boiler

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 am

I bought a Viesmann last year, cost was £2250 installed - all done in a day, decent boiler with a 10 year warranty
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.