Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Last effort

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Jonny3777

Last effort

Post by Jonny3777 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I'm out of options on how to fix my 2006 2.0 z4. Theres 140k miles on her.

She's been puffing white smoke intermittently for the past year with a juddering idle every now and then. Had her checked by 3 different mechanics no answers. I fear oil is being burned in the engine :(

My radiator fan isn't working not and my engine gets up to temperature after 5 miles or so of driving???

Oil consumption seems high, I have to top up 1 liter every 1000km.

Things I've tried so far.

O2 sensor bank 1 fault check engine light, changed O2 sensor fault still there.

Serviced twice a year.

CCV valve was checked no signs of degradation. (may get it changed anyway as a last resort)

One mechanic mentioned my rings may be worn :? I instantly linked this to my radiator fan not working!

That's the worst case scenario. Value stem seals are also a possible culprit but idk?

I'm at the end of my rope I've put a lot of money into service inspections with no solutions. Hoping you guys have any other ideas?
Bmw Z4 E85

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Last effort

Post by john-e89 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:48 pm

Rings or head gasket I'd think. Neither has any influence on the fan though. I'd suggest a compression test of all the cylinders.

Hope you get sorted.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Paul_RK

Last effort

Post by Paul_RK » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:43 am

Jonny3777, so, the first time you should to do is replace the fan ASAP. The problem is , that the coolant temperature on instrument cluster not show actual and real temperature of coolant, i mean that the arrow can stand vertically, but temperature could be from 90 to 105-110 degrees, it's the coding "joke". And for oil it not so good to work with high temperature range. Actual temp you can see online using OBD2 diagnostic tools. You can also coding your cluster and change the t range between the marks. Increased engine temperature affects on oil burn.
The m54 ( i think you have m54) is very stabil engine, and problems with the rings is not so often.
The idea is:
1) Check your cylinders inside with camera on damages ( i mean side walls)
2) If they are ok you can try to use special liquids to dissolve\ clean burning oil on rings and between rings, and make them work again
3) On this mileage the standart problem is oil-removing caps, if you not change them earlier - it's great time to change them ( 24 pcs, advice - purchasing only OEM , not analogue)
4) If the problem will not resolve - another advice, change the engine to m54b30 (swap) without this problems.

tug

Last effort

Post by tug » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:32 am

This will be the N46 engine. Hope you get it sorted mate.
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Last effort

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:19 am

john-e89 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:48 pm Rings or head gasket I'd think. Neither has any influence on the fan though. I'd suggest a compression test of all the cylinders.

Hope you get sorted.
I'm with John. Hope it's viable. :)

Chippie

Last effort

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Jonny3777 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm She's been puffing white smoke intermittently for the past year with a juddering idle every now and then.
I wouldn’t have thought head gasket if it’s intermittent, possibly breather system blocked creating back pressure, but certainly do a compression test and go from there.
Does your Zed have aircon? Does the fan come on with the aircon turned on?
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Jonny3777

Last effort

Post by Jonny3777 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:12 pm

Chippie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:40 pm
Jonny3777 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm She's been puffing white smoke intermittently for the past year with a juddering idle every now and then.
I wouldn’t have thought head gasket if it’s intermittent, possibly breather system blocked creating back pressure, but certainly do a compression test and go from there.
Does your Zed have aircon? Does the fan come on with the aircon turned on?

The Aircon doesn't work unfortunately. The compression test is next on the list.
Bmw Z4 E85

Mr Ward

Last effort

Post by Mr Ward » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am

Jonny3777 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm She's been puffing white smoke intermittently for the past year
How often and how thick is the smoke when she puffs?

Does she smoke when driving normally or when you pull off from a standing start?
Never be afraid to do anything, put your mind to it and work at it.
Pre facelift 2.0i heavily modified with a stubby.

Paul_RK

Last effort

Post by Paul_RK » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:24 pm

tug, it' s no matter what engine, the symptoms are the same,and advises will be the same, with a little differences in details :wink:

Mike6

Last effort

Post by Mike6 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Before having the compression checked, take out the spark plugs and see what condition they are in. If they are very oily then you are almost certainly burning oil so next check that emission pipework isnt clogged . This could be increasing crankshaft pressure and forcing oil into the bore.
Dont give up, could turn out to be an easy fix.

Mike6

Last effort

Post by Mike6 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Before having the compression checked, take out the spark plugs and see what condition they are in. If they are very oily then you are almost certainly burning oil so next check that emission pipework isnt clogged . This could be increasing crankshaft pressure and forcing oil into the bore.

Jonny3777

Last effort

Post by Jonny3777 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Mr Ward wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:32 am
Jonny3777 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm She's been puffing white smoke intermittently for the past year
How often and how thick is the smoke when she puffs?

Does she smoke when driving normally or when you pull off from a standing start?
Most noticeable on start up, doesn't usually smoke while driving.

I notice it more when the oil level is full.
Bmw Z4 E85

Jonny3777

Last effort

Post by Jonny3777 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Mike6 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:07 pm Before having the compression checked, take out the spark plugs and see what condition they are in. If they are very oily then you are almost certainly burning oil so next check that emission pipework isnt clogged . This could be increasing crankshaft pressure and forcing oil into the bore.
Will definitely look into that Mike thanks. That never occurred to me this is a great place to get some fresh prospective :thumbsup:
Bmw Z4 E85

Jonny3777

Last effort

Post by Jonny3777 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Paul_RK wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:43 am Jonny3777, so, the first time you should to do is replace the fan ASAP. The problem is , that the coolant temperature on instrument cluster not show actual and real temperature of coolant, i mean that the arrow can stand vertically, but temperature could be from 90 to 105-110 degrees, it's the coding "joke". And for oil it not so good to work with high temperature range. Actual temp you can see online using OBD2 diagnostic tools. You can also coding your cluster and change the t range between the marks. Increased engine temperature affects on oil burn.
The m54 ( i think you have m54) is very stabil engine, and problems with the rings is not so often.
The idea is:
1) Check your cylinders inside with camera on damages ( i mean side walls)
2) If they are ok you can try to use special liquids to dissolve\ clean burning oil on rings and between rings, and make them work again
3) On this mileage the standart problem is oil-removing caps, if you not change them earlier - it's great time to change them ( 24 pcs, advice - purchasing only OEM , not analogue)
4) If the problem will not resolve - another advice, change the engine to m54b30 (swap) without this problems.
Thanks for the ideas, tbh swapping an engine out is not an option for me. Rather keep and rebuild the one I know than risk taking on additional problems.

The fan is on the list of parts to buy, just bought a new Ccv breather so that should arrive next week for install.

I'm really hoping the rings are OK as 140k miles isn't very high Mileage by any cars standard. Then again who knows.
Bmw Z4 E85

Mr Ward

Last effort

Post by Mr Ward » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Jonny3777 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:14 pm tbh swapping an engine out is not an option for me
I agree with you on this. I have recently fully stripped and rebuilt my Z's engine rather than replace it. At least doing it this way you know exactly what has and hasn't been done to the engine. Plus it gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you will get many more enjoyable miles from the engine.
Never be afraid to do anything, put your mind to it and work at it.
Pre facelift 2.0i heavily modified with a stubby.