Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

B58 Engine

Discussing the current generation Z4
Maria1

B58 Engine

Post by Maria1 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:01 pm

I have a normally aspirated 3 litre auto E89 and very nice it is too. Mustn't grumble at all. I then decided I wanted to get a new daily driver. It didn't take much persuasion to opt for another little BMW. In this case it was a new G series 2 series. I tried one in Munich and it was fabulous. All the mod cons and very grown up to drive. However, it looks too American. Not only that, there is still a long waiting list, it's very expensive, and all of the new ones will have the wrap around display rather than an "instrument" binnacle. The latter is one step too far - I want knobs to control the heating if nothing else. So, to cut a long story short, and after trying a M2 Competition (too unsettled and raw for a daily really), I went for a nearly new F22 M240i.

Now what the hell has this got to do with the G29? The engine and the ZF 8-speed auto box, of course. Well, I can now understand why G29 owners love their motors. It's probably the best daily engine I have ever come across. Full of torque, nice sounding, fleet of foot, and reasonably economical if not being driven like you stole it. I never wanted a 35iS as they appeared to be slightly fragile but all I've heard so far is that the B58 engine is far better. In any case, our will be warranted for ever....if we're allowed.

It will be a sad day when this engine and other fine BMW engines are buried.

HGoward

B58 Engine

Post by HGoward » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:21 pm

I also daily drive a F22 M240i now after selling my E86. And the engine paired with the ZF8 is a masterpiece. Mines currently tuned to 470bhp, 700NM if torque with a stage 3 XHP gearbox tune. For daily driving its fantastic, averaging around 27mpg on the country roads into work which I would say is good for me due to the temptation to floor it. But on the motorway I get around 40mpg which is fantastic for a car with this sort of power. I intend to keep my 240 for a good while with its actual buttons and no touch screen. Mines a 2016 and even for a 6 year old car I can happily see myself driving it for another 5 years.
Sapphire Black E86 LN56 ZKJ Purchased Jan 2021 - Sold June 2022
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

B58 Engine

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:08 pm

Also got a B58 in a different BM (F33). Mildly mapped by BMW to give 360bhp and 550NM. It is a great engine indeed, especially with the M-Performance valved exhaust; then it sounds as good as it goes! :thumbsup: :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

B58 Engine

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:43 pm

From what I've heard it is a great drivetrain, now it would be interesting if someone transplanted it into an E89! :D It's supposed to be super reliable too!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

PaperSniper

B58 Engine

Post by PaperSniper » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:48 pm

Maria1 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:01 pm I have a normally aspirated 3 litre auto E89 and very nice it is too. Mustn't grumble at all. I then decided I wanted to get a new daily driver. It didn't take much persuasion to opt for another little BMW. In this case it was a new G series 2 series. I tried one in Munich and it was fabulous. All the mod cons and very grown up to drive. However, it looks too American. Not only that, there is still a long waiting list, it's very expensive, and all of the new ones will have the wrap around display rather than an "instrument" binnacle. The latter is one step too far - I want knobs to control the heating if nothing else. So, to cut a long story short, and after trying a M2 Competition (too unsettled and raw for a daily really), I went for a nearly new F22 M240i.

Now what the hell has this got to do with the G29? The engine and the ZF 8-speed auto box, of course. Well, I can now understand why G29 owners love their motors. It's probably the best daily engine I have ever come across. Full of torque, nice sounding, fleet of foot, and reasonably economical if not being driven like you stole it. I never wanted a 35iS as they appeared to be slightly fragile but all I've heard so far is that the B58 engine is far better. In any case, our will be warranted for ever....if we're allowed.

It will be a sad day when this engine and other fine BMW engines are buried.
Looks too American? What's that mean? :?

Gotta agree with you on that engine, it has absolutely been BMW's best IMO. Our first 3 series had it, and I wish more models did today. The turbo in my Z4 is nice, and the little turbo'ed 2 liter in my wife's 330e is okay, but I do miss that big, normally aspirated 6 cylinder engine. A simple, non-complete engine....but the addition of the turbo is nice....very nice! :D If I could only get a manual transmission it would be perfect.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

Maria1

B58 Engine

Post by Maria1 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:11 pm

By "too-American" I was't trying to upset our stateside cousins. Merely that the new 4 and 2 series have more of a look an American car (certainly the 4 series looks very Mustang) than they do a traditional BMW. Clearly they have all been morphing for a while now (and all the SUVs look like, well, SUVs) but the last very trad and good looking BMWs in my humble opinion are the E46 3-series, the 3-series and 4 series after the E90, the 5 series has always kept reasonably BMW-ey, and the 2-series coupe. And that's it. I don't count the zeds in that list but actually the E89 follows the z3 more than its immediate forebear. The G29s are nice enough but a bit over-endowed with strakes and pointy bits. Whereas the E89 is just plain class. I will now retreat quickly to the E89 part of the Forum lol

PaperSniper

B58 Engine

Post by PaperSniper » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:00 pm

No problem with "too American" from this Yank. 8)

I prety much agree with what you've said. My wife's previous car was a 440i, and it did look a bit Mustang-y I will admit. SUV's? Yuck, can't stand them, neither can she. I suppose the "station <aka estate> wagons" will likely not be seen again, at least in the USA. I know the SUV's are practical, but I just do not care for the SUV look. I never felt the looks of the station wagons were too far off the good looks of their closely related sedans. Heck, I grew up with them. My folks had 3-4 station wagons, all Chevrolets of course; my father would have never considered a foreign car! :cry:

I reluctantly agree with your about the E89s, I actually like their looks slightly more than the G29. My only objection is the G29s felt rather small to me, where my car feels large enough I don't feel like I've be run over by the Yay-hoos around here driving 4-wheel drive pickups with huge tires.

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!