Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Calling electronics gurus

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Calling electronics gurus

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:24 pm

One of the main reasons for breaking the 2.0i I picked up was an odd airbag warning that kept coming and going.
In the end I lost patience and with people chasing me for parts I decided to dismantle the car instead.
Well today I think I found the airbag issue!
I took out all the centre console and noticed a very sweet-smelling sticky fluid under the rear of it.
I then pulled out the centre airbag module and found that covered in the same stuff.
I've been back to the seller and he does remember spilling a bit of vape fluid into the coin tray behind the handbrake. :roll:
Well I took the thing apart and found this:
Centre airbag module 1.JPG
Centre airbag module 1.JPG (64.95 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Centre airbag module 2.JPG
Centre airbag module 2.JPG (73.67 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Centre airbag module 3.JPG
Centre airbag module 3.JPG (72.25 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Plenty of fluid has found its way in. There seems to be a slightly blackened area at the bottom right corner of the black plug too.

I was about to lob the whole thing into the bin but then I wondered if there any electronics whizzes out there who may be able to rescue it?
I could clean it up but would have no idea if I was making it better or worse tbh.

So if anyone fancies a go at a little CPR on this thing then let me know and I'll post it on to you.

All I ask is that if you fix it and can sell it on, then you stick a contribution into the forum funds.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: