Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

cdkbsd bsd fault bsd generator signal code 00281d

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Post by colb » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 am

Faulty regulator that is in the back of the alternator going bad is the cause of that code so its not communicating with the DME, when that happens the alternator gets pegged at 14v charge rate as the DME can't control the charge rate. Just been through that, supplied with the wrong alternator and that couldn't communicate got the same code 281D. Put a used alternator on and that can communicate and regulate the charge rate as required. Its also interesting to know that the oil level sensor in the sump is also connected in the loom on the same circuit, if that goes bad it can bring down the signal from the alternator and vice-versus. As stated earlier the regulator can be changed by taking the rear cover off the alternator and putting a replacement in using the oem part number you should find a new regulator on ebay for decent money as opposed to replacing the whole alternator. My car has 94k miles on it and it was the original alternator so I went for a new alternator as the old one was not producing a charge.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:02 am

colb wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 am Faulty regulator that is in the back of the alternator going bad is the cause of that code so its not communicating with the DME, when that happens the alternator gets pegged at 14v charge rate as the DME can't control the charge rate. Just been through that, supplied with the wrong alternator and that couldn't communicate got the same code 281D. Put a used alternator on and that can communicate and regulate the charge rate as required. Its also interesting to know that the oil level sensor in the sump is also connected in the loom on the same circuit, if that goes bad it can bring down the signal from the alternator and vice-versus. As stated earlier the regulator can be changed by taking the rear cover off the alternator and putting a replacement in using the oem part number you should find a new regulator on ebay for decent money as opposed to replacing the whole alternator. My car has 94k miles on it and it was the original alternator so I went for a new alternator as the old one was not producing a charge.
I did exactly this and it cured my issue. Just looked and the ebay dealer I got mine from is no longer selling them, but there must be others on there.
You can do the job in situ too, so fairly straightforward.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: