Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alternator Died

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:10 pm

Alternator died shortly after setting out on a trip yesterday, battery warning light popped on, quick check of the voltmeter I fitted on the dash showed 11.9volts no sign of a healthy voltage being generated by the alternator. Turned back and got it home then changed cars and set off again.
Checked the wiring today, all looked ok so scanned the car with diagnostics, Codes 281D (10269) Generator Signal and 281C Bit Serial data interface BSD Signal came back. Have ordered a replacement via ebay at £139 got to wait till at least Wednesday for delivery, supplier in Birmingham. Really eye watering prices fromn Europarts, Carparts4less and GSF. Some cheaper options on Autodoc but their delivery time is usually quite long. Some of their options carry a surcharge of £60 refundable when they get the old one back.
Still have a dead alternator from my Z3 so might find a local refurbisher to recondition that and the dead Z4 one to keep as spares.
Z4 has just turned 96k miles, may well be the alternator is the original fitment, car ran like a top on our recent South Coast break good job it failed close to home and not when we were away.
Replacement shown on Realoem for my 2003 2.5 E85 is 12317519620 Z4 01/2002 - 11/2005 also fits E46 12/99 -12/2018
Bit annoying had the alternator out some weeks ago when I replaced the oil filter housing gasket so had some practice for removal and refitting.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:47 am

Replacement Alternator for the Z4, sourced on ebay and that was the cheapest I found, usual online Factors were eye wateringly expensive.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153663044325
£139.99
Good communication from the seller and quick delivery, well pleased.
Attachments
Z4 Alternator.jpg
Z4 Alternator.jpg (158.95 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:09 am

When I had those codes and symptoms I took a chance and changed the brush/diode pack in situ.
Cured it for me, but I guess there's no harm in replacing an alternator after 20-odd years. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:25 am

Did consider changing the diode pack but 20 years old considered the internals would be tired by now, did the same when my Z3 Alternator died. Now I have a pair may get both rebuilt by a local rebuilding shop and keep them on the shelf in the Zedshed Cymru.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:11 am

colb wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:25 am in the Zedshed Cymru.
Quite jealous of your set up there.
However, I am considering starting 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'. :D

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:22 am

Replacement alternator fitted but seems to be the wrong one, it charges at 14v but generates a code for281D DME BSD generator signal so its not being controlled by the DME and is defaulting to 14v all the time. Popped the spare used one back on and that works ok with no codes generated so new one is the cause of the fault code. Will be sending the new one back for replacement of the correct type or refund.
Getting easier each time with all this removal and refitting so glad I have the car lift in the garage makes it easier to get at it all with the front undertray removed rather than just work from the top.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 am

colb wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:22 am Replacement alternator fitted but seems to be the wrong one, it charges at 14v but generates a code for281D DME BSD generator signal so its not being controlled by the DME and is defaulting to 14v all the time. Popped the spare used one back on and that works ok with no codes generated so new one is the cause of the fault code. Will be sending the new one back for replacement of the correct type or refund.
Getting easier each time with all this removal and refitting so glad I have the car lift in the garage makes it easier to get at it all with the front undertray removed rather than just work from the top.
Just a thought, I believe the DME thing is signalled from the diode pack.
Is it worth swapping the pack from the older alternator onto that new one?

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 am

Did consider doing that but since the new one has a warranty label on it that would void it so going to send it back, pretty sure supplier will come up with the right one, could well be the original diode pack at fault with the old one so bit risky trying a swap, have sent pictures of the original with part number visible against the one they supplied. Original was Bosch, replacement brand not marked but is a new unit.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:56 pm

colb wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:35 am Did consider doing that but since the new one has a warranty label on it that would void it so going to send it back, pretty sure supplier will come up with the right one, could well be the original diode pack at fault with the old one so bit risky trying a swap, have sent pictures of the original with part number visible against the one they supplied. Original was Bosch, replacement brand not marked but is a new unit.
Fair enough. :thumbsup:

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:19 am

The Alternator Saga continues, sent the new one back and they sent me another, fitted that and exactly same fault, code 281D DME BSD generator signal being set. Put the used one back on and that works fine, no codes. Supplier advised and they arranged collection and will be refunding me. I plan on taking my failed one to a local Alternator and Starter refurbisher and see if my failed unit can be reconditioned, have a dead one from the Z3 as well so will take the opportunity to get that one done as well to keep as a spare in the Shed. It didn't help that the second one supplied had the wrong sized pully on it so the drive belt wasn't aligned with the other pullys. Despite having given them full details of the car, part numbers and photographs of the failed unit I never ended up with the correct working replacement.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by firebobby » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:09 pm

I fitted a new regulator a couple of years ago and it's been fine since. Got it from eBay for around £30.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:58 pm

Considered replacing the regulator but since the cars now got 94k miles on it and its the original alternator think it best for a complete refurb so the bearings get a good check out. Cars ok with the used replacement at the moment but would really like to have a refurbed unit on it the used replacement came off a 2003 car same as mine so life expectancy may well be running out. Nice to have a good spare on the shelf just in case.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

colb

Alternator Died

Post by colb » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 am

Got the failed alternator refurbed locally, new oem regulator was fitted and unit tested on the bench, he also checked out the Z3 alternator I changed out some 2 years ago that was only putting out 12v. The Z3 unit passed his tests so I wasn't charged for that. The Z4 unit repair cost me £55 which was considrable cheaper than buying a recon unit. Both will be held as stock in the Zedshed as spares.
Carls Starters and Alternators in Tredegar, South Wales was the place I used, has his workshop behind his house, real old school reconditioner with a wealth of knowledge.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Alternator Died

Post by firebobby » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:36 pm

colb wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 am Got the failed alternator refurbed locally, new oem regulator was fitted and unit tested on the bench, he also checked out the Z3 alternator I changed out some 2 years ago that was only putting out 12v. The Z3 unit passed his tests so I wasn't charged for that. The Z4 unit repair cost me £55 which was considrable cheaper than buying a recon unit. Both will be held as stock in the Zedshed as spares.
Carls Starters and Alternators in Tredegar, South Wales was the place I used, has his workshop behind his house, real old school reconditioner with a wealth of knowledge.
That sounds like a good service, a handy contact to know.
Glad you got it fixed
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981