Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

23i - 6th Gear in Auto Mode

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:47 am

My 23i never seems to get into 6th gear when driving in Automatic mode.
Not in Auto Normal nor in Auto Sport mode.

Max it gets into is 5th.

If I want 6th I have to switch to manual mode.

Is this the same with your cars?

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:02 pm

How do you know what gear it is in when in auto or sport auto mode since there is no indication on the dash as to what gear is currently selected? I have the indication on my dash but that's because I have flashed my gearbox using XHP Flashtool.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:46 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:02 pm How do you know what gear it is in when in auto or sport auto mode since there is no indication on the dash as to what gear is currently selected? I have the indication on my dash but that's because I have flashed my gearbox using XHP Flashtool.
I think I changed that option to show the gear via Carly at some stage.

jenniferlouise

Post by jenniferlouise » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:41 pm

That’s interesting…. When in Sport mode it seldom wants to tip into top gear, but she’s always willing to run through all gears when in normal mode.

As for knowing what gear you’re in, surely others simply know? You can either count, or you’d have a strong indicator from a combo of RPM and engine noise… :driving:

Sounds like something in the programming is holding it off going to 6th. Has it been mapped in the past? Sorry, I’m no techy… I guess it won’t hurt it mechanically but will make it a little less efficient.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:03 pm

jenniferlouise wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:41 pm As for knowing what gear you’re in, surely others simply know? You can either count, or you’d have a strong indicator from a combo of RPM and engine noise…
Not necessarily so, not so easy to decipher what gear you are in sometimes the changes are barely perceptible. You'd have to be paying real attention to this whilst paying attention elsewhere whilst driving.

For the OP yes mine does go into 6 in normal mode. As mentioned you probably need to get it checked, something in the programming might be off.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red