Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Michelin Super Sport?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin Super Sport?

Post by tomscott » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:04 pm

Wasn't there a recall on the MPSS? I think maybe the difference in opinions may well be down to this? Could be wrong.

I may well be in the minority here.

I bought a set of MPS4S for the Z4M in about March this year. They are a fabulous tyre no doubt but it has changed the characteristics of the car somewhat. I had VRED Ultrac Sessantas on before and loved them, they were sticky enough but allowed for the tail happy character of the car which was incredibly manageable.

The MPS4S has killed all of that, 343hp isnt much these days really and most hot hatches are putting out as much if not more.

Considering most high end sports cars are in the 400-600hp range and a lot heavier I think these new gen tyres are a bit over tyred for this generation of M car.

I know we are talking E89 but I would advise caution, if its a higher HP model then may be ok but might dull a lower powered car. One of those HP has increased hugely over the last 10 years and cars that are of that age may benefit with being in a more mid tier tyre.

Depends on your driving style but the M cars have always been tail happy and part of the experience is exactly that. These tyres have changed the characteristics. As the Z4M isnt really the sharpest turn in anyway a dab of throttle corrected nicely and now from my experience it has made the car feel a bit blunt and not as fun to drive.

When you take traction control off yes it can slip but you have to work hard to make it move. Reminds me of the 987 Boxster I owned in terms of stickiness without the surgical knife precision in the corners.

The super sports I had on the 224s are stickier than the VREDs but still allowed a bit of play but I bought the car and did about 300 miles before swapping for my CSLs with VEREDs

When these are done I think I will be looking into another tyre unless they start to loosen up which they may do, I think ive done about 2500 miles and the VREDs were 6 years old and had done about 12k getting low when I got rid about 4mm. I do remember them being very good when I got them new on my Z4MC tho.

plenty

Michelin Super Sport?

Post by plenty » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:37 pm

Interesting point made above. Could try adding PSI into your rear tyres to re-introduce some tail-happiness.

Maria1

Michelin Super Sport?

Post by Maria1 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:43 pm

I have had Michelin PSSs BMW * rated on our 240i. They are a good tyre. Much better than the runflats it had on (by mistake) when I bought it. I got the dealer to change them immediately as RFTs weren't fitted to the 240i. Anyway, FWIW I have also more recently had Michelin PS5s and they seem to be slightly better in normal driving circumstances. As somebody said earlier the tyre technology between the two is about 10 years. I haven't tried MPS4s though.