Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DISA valve buzzing

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Fat Yucca

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Fat Yucca » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I know there have been many discussions about DISA valve problems, but I cant seem to find anything that relates to what mine is doing. Wondering if someone could shed some light on the matter, or knows of a relevant post I have missed.

Basically it buzzes when the ignition is on (engine off). Sounds like an electric razor, a constant pitch.

I've put my ear to it and I'm sure its coming from the DISA box on the side of the manifold. I've unplugged the electrical connector, but it continues to buzz, which surprised me. I can hear the actuator for the vacuum pot open/close when disconnecting/reconnecting the electrical connector, but the box continues to buzz.

I've tried leaving the connector off while I turn off the ignition and back on again, it stops when the ignition is off, and starts when ignition is switched back on.

No error codes from my OBD scanner that I could relate to it.

I have a 2003 3.0, with about 130k on the clock.

I am intending to fit the X8R upgrade kit soon, but I'm yet to be convinced that this buzzing is related .

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Alun

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:13 pm

I would suggest not turning over your engine again before whipping it off for an inspection.
If it's a loose flap/pin or both and is subsequently ingested into ur engine then ur looking at severe misery and heartache that will last your a lifetime...or at least until your insurance company might cough up for a new zed.... :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Fat Yucca

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Fat Yucca » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 pm

My concerns exactly Chris_D, just don't understand why it makes the noise with no power to it and the engine off?

I found a video (see link below) that demonstrates the usual rattling noise that stops when the connector removed, presumably caused by the intake air flow going through the valve with a broken pin when the engine is running, but mine sounds nothing like, nor behaves like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhDpADB87s

I shall however take your advice and take it of for inspection ASAP, thanks!

Do insurance companies pay out for that kind of thing?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Chris_D » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:56 pm

Fat Yucca wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 pm I shall however take your advice and take it of for inspection ASAP, thanks!
Worth a butchers' hook in any case.
Fat Yucca wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 pm Do insurance companies pay out for that kind of thing?
Probably not. Always worth a try tho. :lol:

One more thought that there's a few powered bits n pieces knockin around that side of the engine.
Could also be the throttlebody.

Fat Yucca

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Fat Yucca » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 am

Good call Chris_D, it's the throttle body. Further investigation needed, hopefully just some muck stopping it from closing properly at rest.

I took the DISA off for inspection, though its not flapping about or about to disintegrate into the the engine, it isn't attached to the actuator either so I have the X8R upgrade kit on order. Always felt the bottom end of the rev range lacked a bit of response, hopefully should restore some beans to the old girl.

Thanks for your input! :thumbsup:

OtisCrablegs

DISA valve buzzing

Post by OtisCrablegs » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:16 pm

My '03 2.5 just started buzzing... any update?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

DISA valve buzzing

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 pm

Holy thread revival batman!

Well, I feel duty-bound to reply even though it looks like Fat Yukka only registered to solve his particular issue. As he has only 20 posts I doubt he’ll see this or respond.

As per the earlier posts, whip your DISA off and give it a good check for tightness of the flap and pin.
Carefully push the flap to the open position while placing your thumb over the breather hole. If the flap moves back to its resting position with your thumb still over the hole then your valve is buggered.

Have a feel around and press things to see if you can locate the buzz if it’s not the disa.

OtisCrablegs

DISA valve buzzing

Post by OtisCrablegs » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:47 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:38 pm Holy thread revival batman!

Well, I feel duty-bound to reply even though it looks like Fat Yukka only registered to solve his particular issue. As he has only 20 posts I doubt he’ll see this or respond.

As per the earlier posts, whip your DISA off and give it a good check for tightness of the flap and pin.
Carefully push the flap to the open position while placing your thumb over the breather hole. If the flap moves back to its resting position with your thumb still over the hole then your valve is buggered.

Have a feel around and press things to see if you can locate the buzz if it’s not the disa.
:D :D Thank you Chris_D for the response. I didn't notice op activity :| ...

I figured out the problem which is in connection to an other post of mine with the z4 cranking and no start. The f2 fuse in the ebox was blown and when it was replaced that's when the buzzing started. Looked at the wire diagram and it goes to the Idle speed actuator beneath the DISA, it was buzzing through the plastic... Took it out, cleaned it and the car started right up. Still buzzing but working - waiting on the replacement.