Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dealer profit margins

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Dave1971

Dealer profit margins

Post by Dave1971 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:15 pm

PerryGunn wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:52 pm
Dave1971 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am
PerryGunn wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:38 am
The rules are slightly different for used cars though as VAT is paid on the dealers profit not the total sale price
That's not quite correct. The dealer pays 20% vat on the difference between the buying price and the selling price.

For example a dealer buys a car from auction for £16k and sells it for £20k so a nice 20% mark up. The vat is £800.

But out of the £3200 left the dealer now needs to pay all the other business overheads like gas, electric, phones, building maintenance, business rates.

Then you need to fix anything that is wrong with the car. The different departments in a main dealer act like separate businesses so when the sales person puts the car into the workshop they don't get any special benefits, they pay through the nose just like we do.

Then there is the sales persons commission, probably only a couple of hundred quid but it all comes out of the pot. There's also the none productive staff like the dolly bird on reception, the guy who washes all the cars, the sales manager, dealer principal and maybe even a share holder or two.

Suddenly that £3200 is spread very thin indeed, the "profit"
is probably very small. In fact if the car turns out to need a bit too much work in the workshop then it's quite easy to make a loss because no matter what the tax man still wants his £800.
All I missed out was the word gross i.e. 'VAT is paid on the dealers gross profit not the total sale price', what you have done is explain how gross profit becomes net profit.
That's true but it's an important distinction that had not been made up until that point. The vat on the gross profit of £4k is £800, the vat on the net profit of say £400 is £80.

The guy actually getting the biggest slice of the (gross) profit is very probably the tax man.
Last edited by Dave1971 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

Rockhopper

Dealer profit margins

Post by Rockhopper » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:47 am

I used to work in a shop where we bought items in to sell on. We paid VAT on the difference between the buy in price and the selling price. Used cars are the same. It’s up to the dealer if he chooses to pass that cost onto the buyer.
VAT on vans is different, as it depends on if the original purchaser was VAT registered or not and claimed the VAT back. This could also apply to cars bought by a business. VAT in this instance is paid by the buyer, not the dealer. The dealer still has to pay his VAT on the margin though as above.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Dealer profit margins

Post by MikeyH » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Money for old rope :thumbsdown: :headbang:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Dealer profit margins

Post by ronk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:18 pm

Out of curiosity I did a check of the identical car to mine - I looked at its MOT history - All I can say is that it has had a very hard life!

Bent wheels, Cracked wheels, shockers, bald tyres. split tyres !

The MOT history page is an excellent tool for a buyer. :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: