Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Can someone help? Anyone in the Bucks / High Wycombe area?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:01 am

A bit of an emergency. I'm in High Wycombe with what I suspect to be a failed ignition coil on my daily driver.

Luckily Euro Car Parts had a coil in stock but I can't get going without clearing the fault codes.

Is there anyone nearby who has an ODB code reader that I can use to clear the codes to set off back to the midlands? I have an app on my phone, just need someone nearby who has the ODB reader.

Looking for something like this:
Screenshot_20220821-105543_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20220821-105543_Amazon Shopping.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 528 times

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:26 pm

Managed to get RAC out. Ignition coil replaced but still misfiring. Spark plug looks good. He suspects it may be a fuel injector gone bad. Anyone have any experience of this?
20220821_120625.jpg
20220821_120625.jpg (123.57 KiB) Viewed 511 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:53 pm

I’d have thought it’s more likely to be a crankshaft position sensor issue instead of an injector fault as it’s showing misfires on multiple cylinders? :?
Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:01 pm

Rob, issue sorted. Misdiagnosed by RAC - I'm not happy. It was a faulty ignition coil in the end. He counted the cylinders from the wrong side of the block and replaced the wrong coil. He barely spent 2 minutes on it before saying it needs to go to a garage. 🤦‍♂️

I managed to get the vehicle back on a low loader. I diagnosed and rectified it with 5 mins of getting home.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:20 pm

warmasice wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:01 pm Rob, issue sorted. Misdiagnosed by RAC - I'm not happy. It was a faulty ignition coil in the end. He counted the cylinders from the wrong side of the block and replaced the wrong coil. He barely spent 2 minutes on it before saying it needs to go to a garage. 🤦‍♂️

I managed to get the vehicle back on a low loader. I diagnosed and rectified it with 5 mins of getting home.
That’s odd, why does it show misfiring on several cylinders then? If he replaced the wrong coil (a good one) the original fault would still be the only one showing :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:55 am

I've no idea, may have been old codes? He spent virtually no time at all trying to diagnose the issue though. I did think it was odd that he was counting from the wrong end of the block. Think I'll be using the AA next time, although I don't know if they'll be much better.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:03 am

Been a member of the AA for years now and so has the wife. No complaints about them, always an AA person, some company’s out source to local garages, I think the RAC is one of them. 2 of my injectors failed on my transit at night a while ago, the AA guy did a temp fix and followed me home for 10 miles. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am

MikeyH wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:03 am Been a member of the AA for years now and so has the wife. No complaints about them, always an AA person, some company’s out source to local garages, I think the RAC is one of them. 2 of my injectors failed on my transit at night a while ago, the AA guy did a temp fix and followed me home for 10 miles. :thumbsup:
Mikey, that sounds reassuring. Within a couple of minutes the RAC guy said 'It needs to go to the doctors' which I found quite condescending. No attempt at any temporary fix or real diagnosis. I'll look into an AA subscription.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:02 pm

Many years ago I wasn't a member but the lady I went out with was, late one evening the camshaft belt snapped on my Capri and she called the AA as members are covered for any vehicle they are travelling in. They turned up with a low loader recovery vehicle even though she didn't have recovery cover and took us home. Apparently if it was a female at night this is what they did regardless of membership. Needless to say I joined. :thumbsup: However rumour has it that they are pricier that other companies.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.