Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cluster of warning lights on

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 pm

Does anyone have an iCarsoft diagnostics tool and will I be able to get the codes with the iCarsoft BMM v2.0 I have ?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:00 pm

[email protected] wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 pm Does anyone have an iCarsoft diagnostics tool and will I be able to get the codes with the iCarsoft BMM v2.0 I have ?
Where you based bud
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10 pm

Near Cirencester, Glos

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 pm

Ah that’s a fair way off was going to offer use of my inpa
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm

Many thanks for the offer!

colb

Post by colb » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:26 pm

Had a look on Realoem parts site for BoxClever's 3.0l car, as mentioned above the steering angle sensor is located at the bottom of the column not behind the steering wheel as some of the other models have it. The Pelican Parts How to explains all https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm
We scanned the car and it came up with steering angle signal implausable, checked out the wheel speed sensors by looking at live data whilst it was driven around and all 4 were registering ok. Also looked at the brake sensors on the master cylinder, both were working and preety much equal when the brakes were applied. Having ruled out those componants that leaves the steering angle sensor as being the likely culprit. The TPMS light is also lit and that won't respond to a reset, dare say its locked out due to the steering angle sensor going bad.
Got to pull the column out to replace it, hence the long labour time quoted in the Pelican Parts How to (5 Hours)
The lights will never reset until the sensor is replaced and the codes cleared followed by a TPMS reset.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:27 am

colb wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:26 pm Had a look on Realoem parts site for BoxClever's 3.0l car, as mentioned above the steering angle sensor is located at the bottom of the column not behind the steering wheel as some of the other models have it. The Pelican Parts How to explains all https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm
We scanned the car and it came up with steering angle signal implausable, checked out the wheel speed sensors by looking at live data whilst it was driven around and all 4 were registering ok. Also looked at the brake sensors on the master cylinder, both were working and preety much equal when the brakes were applied. Having ruled out those componants that leaves the steering angle sensor as being the likely culprit. The TPMS light is also lit and that won't respond to a reset, dare say its locked out due to the steering angle sensor going bad.
Got to pull the column out to replace it, hence the long labour time quoted in the Pelican Parts How to (5 Hours)
The lights will never reset until the sensor is replaced and the codes cleared followed by a TPMS reset.
Col-

It’s worth trying first:

Opening the SAS in situ to bend the contact prongs to a better position

Use toolset32 to do the edibas reset with inpa to realign the steering values

Just my fourpenneth but that’s a lot easier than removing the column to replace the SAS

EWS Delete PM me

colb

Post by colb » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 pm

Maybe worth a try but its in an awful place to do anything with it in situ. Its held on the column by the lower bush with a clip, not at all sure you wouldn get it apart to adjust the pickup prongs.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:09 pm

colb wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 pm Maybe worth a try but its in an awful place to do anything with it in situ. Its held on the column by the lower bush with a clip, not at all sure you wouldn get it apart to adjust the pickup prongs.
Agreed I still have scars

EWS Delete PM me

BoxClever

Post by BoxClever » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:12 am

Thanks for all your input, guys. As this is becoming a bit of a pain I think I’m going to live with the 3 lights for now unless someone fancies having a go at it for me? Colin, I don’t expect you to do this but if alcohol and money would persuade you then I’m fine with that! 😜😜🙏

NS66

Post by NS66 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:21 am

Have you tried checking your tyre pressures? might be coincidental?
I had those lights come up recently when out driving - pulled into a filling station and one tyre was 2psi down - pumped up - reset the TPM and all went out after drive reset. Just a thought?

colb

Post by colb » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:22 pm

I am a fair distance away from you to take this job on, not done one yet so it would be a steep learning curve. Since you are in Lincoln have a chat with t-tony over on the zroadster.org forum, he runs the members Zedshed where they fettle each others cars around Lincoln area and wider. Retired proffessional mechanic with great knowledge of all thing Z. I wouldn't try adjusting those prongs just bite the bullit and replace the unit.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

BoxClever

Post by BoxClever » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 pm

colb wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:22 pm I am a fair distance away from you to take this job on, not done one yet so it would be a steep learning curve. Since you are in Lincoln have a chat with t-tony over on the zroadster.org forum, he runs the members Zedshed where they fettle each others cars around Lincoln area and wider. Retired proffessional mechanic with great knowledge of all thing Z. I wouldn't try adjusting those prongs just bite the bullit and replace the unit.
I'm in Bristol, Colin, but no worries, appreciate your advice so far :)

colb

Post by colb » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:59 am

Sorry confused you with bigwinn in the thread
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:58 pm

Right, this is what came out of my iCarsoft diagnostics tool. I finally figured out how to use it!
5E38 Rotation rate sensor. It that the module under the seat does anyone know?Image
Attachments
IMG_6805.jpg
IMG_6805.jpg (189.38 KiB) Viewed 229 times