Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I know, yet another roof problem

LJG

Post by LJG » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:13 am

Have another roof problem that I think is the microswitches 4 & 5 problem that a few posts here talk about.

When I unlock the car the roof button sometimes flashes red, but when I open the roof all the actions perform as expected and the red light goes out so all the sensors have detected the roof is in the correct position and the windows wind back up. I pushed my luck in not getting it looked at immediately due to other things going on and as expected it's getting worse. Yesterday while I was driving around I paid attention to the various noises the car makes and I noticed that there would be a click from the boot area and I would immediately get a "roof not latched" error (this is with the roof down) and the dreaded bongs. Then a little while later I'd hear another little click and the error would go away and the windows would work. I don't always hear the clicks when I'm driving so either they're always present and that's the problem or my hearing is rubbish. When the roof opens or closes I do hear the locking mechanism on the boot lid so that's functioning.

Yesterday the rear clam also decided it didn't want to move into the final position during a close, it just stayed on the upper roof shell. Left it for a couple of hours and it finally closed. Other than this issue with the rear clam the actual roof mechanism always seems to function as expected.

I hooked up the code reader and pulled the following codes:
A6A4 Hardtop Operating Unit
A69E Speed in soft top intermediate position higher than permitted
A698 Rear-end module open during driving

To me it sounds like the sensor detecting the position of the boot when it's closed is either misaligned (and driving is making it move a little bit) or there's and intermittent power issue that's causing it to physically unlock (hence the slight click)

Does this sound the same as the issues other people have had who've replaced microswitches 4 & 5?

Also, who's the roof experts around Berkshire. Local to me I have RBM, TWG & Grosvenor Motor Company in Reading

Unrelated codes:
A670 Fogging Sensor
A1AD Signal on ASD input even though the engine is not running

These don't seem important.

As always, thanks to the all forum members for helping people who are generally re-hashing the same issues over and over. You guy's are lifesavers and make this community what it is.

Lee
Black 2012 28i

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:05 am

As usual...

Please read the following thread:
⌛E89: Retractable Hardtop (roof) Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:32 am

Certainly seems like the issues I was experiencing and changing the microswitches cured it - nut Robbie is the expert on e89 roofs.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.