Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Eibach lowering springs

Silverstar

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Silverstar » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:16 pm

Gca wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:41 pm Not suprised that the Eibach kit was better especially on 19’s!

Interestingly I read when the 28i E89 series first came out the press recommended staying away from the M Sport suspension
This was advised to me too by Kevin Bird of Birds BMW a well respected BMW independent and tuning company. He indicated that the M Sport suspension from the factory does not really add much to the handling off the Z4 but just makes the ride harsh. He indicated that I would be better off with the standard suspension and then look at aftermarket options to improve handling / stance etc. Which I still haven't gotten around to doing! :|
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Gca

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Gca » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 pm

This is exactly where I am now!

My car M sport car with suspension delete or std springs / dampers drives, rides and turns int corners really well with no excessive roll and good road compliance- just sit too high and I don’t want to spoil it by fitting Eibach springs to std dampers unless someone can tell me it doesn’t!

I know the pro kit with Bilstein dampers should improve it but it’s good enough std to not bother even with run flat tyres which bring 18” likely had a bearing.

Sure non run flat tyres will improve again but will I loose some of the great turn in it presently has?

And yes I have also spoken to Kevin Bird and agree with his thoughts.

Done a lot of motor racing so not looking to career around just enjoy a nicely rounded package as it is…. Sounds maybe crazy but I am really enjoying this car and do rash to live with.

warmasice

Eibach lowering springs

Post by warmasice » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Gca wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:02 pm Agreed the tyres although my run flats are in good shape at the moment.

Did you find that non run flats took away some of the sharpness when turning in although may be the better damper action plus resetting the toe in restored it all back.

Re the remap is yours a 28i?

My 28i averages 41.5 mpg and although always the remap people will tell you otherwise my own experience is that I’ve always noticed a fairly large drop even trying for economy… can stand wasting money on fuel especially at the moment.

By the way I adore big V8 engines !
For sure, the run flats were very darty and immediate, with lots of tramlining, but those Bridgestones are terrible. Only realised when I moved over to Goodyear non rfts. Amazing comfort and loads of grip. Lowering the car helped reduce body roll too which brings back a little more sportiness. Adding wheel spacers and decent wheel alignment and it's a completely different car. Love it now. (I was on the verge of selling the car with 19s and RFTs.. was falling out of love with it.. but now it's an absolute keeper!).

Mines a 20i and has a number of options I just couldn't find in a 28i. It's remapped to beyond 28i power anyway. I really wanted one in mineral white (really catches the light) with a few bells and whistles.

Gca

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Gca » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:46 pm

Interesting, really opposite to what I’m finding with run flats…. Mine turns in lovely with little to no downside and really a very small amount of tramlining which to be honest I never really notice …. Maybe the 18” wheels are the answer!

I have fitted non run flats before on BMW and yes the both improve the ride and are quieter. From memory think they took away a bit of immediacy when turning in though.

A mate of mine has driven my car a lot and also thinks it’s great to drive certainly more fun than a Golf R 7.5 which I had up until recently! Would you believe !!

I do want to lower a touch which is what my post is all about and was also considering rear wheel spacers to fill the arch a little better, however thought about the road chipping even though I have mud flaps fitted. Didn’t think the front would need them though.

Gca

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Gca » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:50 pm

The Golf R is just too good at what it does and being DSG also took away the involvement you get with a manual box. Really quick yes especially with a stage I map, but so what you can’t use the performance anyway…. Give me my 245 bop 28i any day for fun especially with the roof down!
Hope no one from Golf R forums looking in cause they will think I’m mad!!

Gca

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Gca » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:03 pm

Perhaps that’s why I like the Z4 so much, it make me concentrate on driving and working round it’s weaknesses unlike like the Golf which was just too good for its own good, witness the lack of fun statement. For me old school driving is what give the pleasure in old school type of cars.

warmasice

Eibach lowering springs

Post by warmasice » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:24 pm

Yeh a manual is always going to be more fun.

You're on non msport suspension with 18" so it's always going to ride better. The stock 19" m sport setup on RFTs is terrible.

It would appear that the arch gap is bugging you a little. Just go ahead and get the springs, they'll cost less than the price of 1 OEM spring from BMW :rofl:

..they're easy to fit if you're mechanically minded and have the right tools.

Gca

Eibach lowering springs

Post by Gca » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:17 am

Got the springs anyway. Never used any forum before so please excuse me if I have sidetracked a little. Image shows worst case scenario of front ride
Worst case angle
Worst case angle
23BC39B5-AB50-4E62-9694-EBAF408BEE78.jpeg (164.01 KiB) Viewed 678 times
height.

warmasice

Eibach lowering springs

Post by warmasice » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:22 pm

You'll get a nice little drop with the pro kit. I agree it looks too high at the moment.

KryStallone

Eibach lowering springs

Post by KryStallone » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 pm

warmasice wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm
Gca wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:02 pm Agreed the tyres although my run flats are in good shape at the moment.

Did you find that non run flats took away some of the sharpness when turning in although may be the better damper action plus resetting the toe in restored it all back.

My 28i averages 41.5 mpg and although always the remap people will tell you otherwise my own experience is that I’ve always noticed a fairly large drop even trying for economy… can stand wasting money on fuel especially at the moment.

For sure, the run flats were very darty and immediate, with lots of tramlining, but those Bridgestones are terrible. Only realised when I moved over to Goodyear non rfts. Amazing comfort and loads of grip. Lowering the car helped reduce body roll too which brings back a little more sportiness. Adding wheel spacers and decent wheel alignment and it's a completely different car. Love it now. (I was on the verge of selling the car with 19s and RFTs.. was falling out of love with it.. but now it's an absolute keeper!).

Mines a 20i and has a number of options I just couldn't find in a 28i. It's remapped to beyond 28i power anyway. I really wanted one in mineral white (really catches the light) with a few bells and whistles.
Interestingly enough I was told by my mechanic today that springs alone may make the car feel a bit bouncy?? and was suggested coilovers which I certainly can’t afford right now.

So from your experience only springs and spacers are not bouncy at all?
and you are 100% happy with the mods? (I also have run flats)

Are you on 19’s with M sport adaptive suspension? which is my spec albeit a 28i.
No rubbing on arches or any of that stuff?

As for the Eibach Pro-Kit Performance Spring Kit E10-20-019-01-22 their site says:

All spring lowering amounts are measured off the Standard chassis, this would not include models such as sports, Sline and Msports for example which may come lower from factory, you will need to take that measurement off of our measurement to give you an approximate drop.

So am I right to assume the drop 25mm - 10mm = 15mm front; and 15mm - 10mm = 5mm at rear. Is this the drop you achieved?

For spacers, Eibach site shows 12mm and 15mm, so I'll look at this.

Could be a nice mod on my tiny budget so appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Did I notice in another post you got a remap done at Evolve? Luton? They are on my list of potential tuners as relatively local. Would you recommend? Was you pleased with final road set up after tune? (Trying not to change the topic like I did in Mineral v Alpine 😏

Thanks for the advice so far 👍

tiglon

Eibach lowering springs

Post by tiglon » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:35 pm

I've got Eibach with the adaptive dampers. Works fine, if anything a bit more comfortable. Does it drive any better? Maybe a little, but it's probably just a placebo...

Couldn't tell you how much lower it is, but it does look better (in a sensible OEM+ kind of way) and I've had zero issues with rubbing etc... you do need to be even more gentle over speed bumps though.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

KryStallone

Eibach lowering springs

Post by KryStallone » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am

tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:35 pm I've got Eibach with the adaptive dampers. Works fine, if anything a bit more comfortable. Does it drive any better? Maybe a little, but it's probably just a placebo...

Couldn't tell you how much lower it is, but it does look better (in a sensible OEM+ kind of way) and I've had zero issues with rubbing etc... you do need to be even more gentle over speed bumps though.
Appreciate that feedback Tiglon!! Does the Comfort v Sport settings still function ok?

warmasice

Eibach lowering springs

Post by warmasice » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:50 pm

KryStallone wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:58 pm
warmasice wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:28 pm

Interestingly enough I was told by my mechanic today that springs alone may make the car feel a bit bouncy?? and was suggested coilovers which I certainly can’t afford right now.

So from your experience only springs and spacers are not bouncy at all?
and you are 100% happy with the mods? (I also have run flats)

Are you on 19’s with M sport adaptive suspension? which is my spec albeit a 28i.
No rubbing on arches or any of that stuff?

As for the Eibach Pro-Kit Performance Spring Kit E10-20-019-01-22 their site says:

All spring lowering amounts are measured off the Standard chassis, this would not include models such as sports, Sline and Msports for example which may come lower from factory, you will need to take that measurement off of our measurement to give you an approximate drop.

So am I right to assume the drop 25mm - 10mm = 15mm front; and 15mm - 10mm = 5mm at rear. Is this the drop you achieved?

For spacers, Eibach site shows 12mm and 15mm, so I'll look at this.

Could be a nice mod on my tiny budget so appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Did I notice in another post you got a remap done at Evolve? Luton? They are on my list of potential tuners as relatively local. Would you recommend? Was you pleased with final road set up after tune? (Trying not to change the topic like I did in Mineral v Alpine 😏

Thanks for the advice so far 👍
My car is an Msport with Msport suspension, so the stock dampers are matched very nicely with the Eibachs. The ride isn't bouncy at all, I'd go as far as saying it improved the ride, since they're what you call progressive springs. The drop makes the car look OEM+. I wouldn't bother with coilovers for our needs. Certainly don't get them because the ride will be bouncy, because it absolutely won't!

The Eibach spacers are what you call hub- centric and are the correct diameter (others are smaller so the full face of the back of the wheel doesn't meet face to face. May cost more but are definitely worth it.

I purchased the Goodyear tyres because they've always traditionally had compliant rides with a great blend of dry and wet grip. Always been well priced for premium tyres (although now tyre prices have increased considerably no matter what size you get). They've also got a more rounded profile, so no issues with any rubbing at all.

Yes, had the car tuned at Evolve. Highly recommended. Transformed the car. Car feels so much more alive and you can really feel the power difference. Especially at dual carriageway speeds where it really comes into its own.

Here's a few pics I took low down so you can get an idea of arch gap (with spacers fitted):
20210722_121334.jpg
20210722_121334.jpg (259.7 KiB) Viewed 446 times
20210722_121327.jpg
20210722_121327.jpg (280.07 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Last edited by warmasice on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tiglon

Eibach lowering springs

Post by tiglon » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:31 pm

KryStallone wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:03 am
tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:35 pm I've got Eibach with the adaptive dampers. Works fine, if anything a bit more comfortable. Does it drive any better? Maybe a little, but it's probably just a placebo...

Appreciate that feedback Tiglon!! Does the Comfort v Sport settings still function ok?
Yeah, still works exactly as it should.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

warmasice

Eibach lowering springs

Post by warmasice » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:02 pm

Edit: Duplicate post.
Last edited by warmasice on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.