Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front fender replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BennyHill

Front fender replacement

Post by BennyHill » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:52 am

Hi everyone
An elderly neighbour has reversed into my z4 coupe.
I had a body shop look at it but best they could offer was a 95% repair as the dents are on the sharp lines of the fender.
Neighbour doesn't want to go through insurance & isn't in the best of health.

I'm in Essex, UK & the damage is on the drivers side(right) thinks its classed as the offside?

I'm trying to source an undamaged replacement. Ideally in sapphire black & the body shop will do the rest to get it looking 100%
I bought the motor as I love her to bits & intended in keeping her long-term but I'm not that motor savvy.

It's not been easy finding a replacement, apparently bmw stopped making them.
There's a few online from breakers but my local body shop mentioned a lot of them being full of rust, already repaired or with similar damage.
There's a couple that look suitable but they're nearly £600 in postage alone
It'll be on me to source the oart and the body shop will do the rest. Im not feeling that confident & don't want to end up with a wrong or dodgy part that needs returned with all the postage involved

Apologies for the length of that but can anyone offer advice?

Do the front fenders from the 2.0-3.0 roadsters/convertables match the 3.0si coupe? Design, length?

Is there anything I should be looking out for?
Does anyone know anyone locally thats worth a shout?

Hopefully you're all well & it'd be nice if anyone could help out with some advice
All the best

Umfaan

Front fender replacement

Post by Umfaan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:03 am

What year and pic would help.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Zedebee » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:01 am

Assuming you mean the front bumper or, more correctly, the front bumper cover; the pre-facelift (round fog lights) bumper is interchangeable between all pre-facelift models, whereas the post-facelift (rectangular fog lights) bumper is interchangeable between all the post-facelift models including the Coupe 3.0Si but excluding the “M”.

Note the bumper will have holes drilled if the headlight cleaning system is specified although a body shop will be able to do this retrospectively if it doesn’t have them, or you can plug the holes with the specified covers or get them filled if you don’t want them.

There is also a rare OEM “aero” version of the bumper and probably some after market ones as well, but the vast majority on sale will be regular pre- or post- facelift versions.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Chris_D » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:51 am

It shouldn't be up to your neighbour to decide whether it should or shouldn't go through insurance, even if they are in poor health and especially if they admitted liability for any damage.
Your insurance company would (should) make sure the repair is done 100% to your satisfaction.
Sounds like you're bending over to accommodate this person unecessarily.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Zedebee » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am

Chris_D wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:51 am Sounds like you're bending over to accommodate this person unecessarily.
That’s a bit harsh. Some people are more considerate than others? :tumbleweed:
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by MikeyH » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:05 am

Not wishing to sound too awful but supposing your neighbour gets worse and dies before the work and payment has been completed. Will his relations or his estate be willing to stand by his commitment? I personally would not be willing to risk it. Some years ago my wife's father reversed into our car and didn't want to go through the insurance and had a chap other the road from him to do the work, needless to say it was a crap job and the ensuing arguments caused a massive rift between us. He passed away a while ago but I have never forgiven him.
You are trying to be nice to the guy but it is your car, he has wrecked, he sorts it out with his insurance. End of.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Chris_D » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:43 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am
Chris_D wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:51 am Sounds like you're bending over to accommodate this person unecessarily.
That’s a bit harsh. Some people are more considerate than others? :tumbleweed:
What's consideration got to do with anything when you're talking about trying to find unobtanium parts, huge inconvenience, plus additional risks of bad workmanship and potential non-payment...all caused by someone else?
I see it the other way around; If the neighbour was 'considerate' he'd be whipping out his insurance policy and filling in the forms without any questions or arguments!

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Zedebee » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:43 pm

No argument from me Chris, it’s just that the OP was asking advice on how to repair his car, not whether he should go round the old boy’s house with a five iron.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by Chris_D » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:31 pm

Zedebee wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:43 pm No argument from me Chris, it’s just that the OP was asking advice on how to repair his car, not whether he should go round the old boy’s house with a five iron.
:rofl:

Of course its the op's call but if it was my situation I don't care if they had 2 weeks left to live, I'd make it abundantly clear that they were shuffling off having done the right/decent thing. :evil: :o :lol:

But that's just me.
Yeah, I can feel the hackles from the Bingo handbag swingers of the forum a hackling right from where I'm sitting!
:P

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:36 pm

Hey, if the neighbour isn't in the best of health he may soon have his licence taken away anyway. In which NCD is of no interest to him, so you may as well claim. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by MikeyH » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:31 pm

Also if the neighbour is that ill he'll be shuffling of his mortal coil soon anyway so you wont need to feel bad for very long. Yes I know that sounds bad, but as was said above if the neighbour had any consideration for crapping up your car he would do everything in HIS power to to sort it out.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Sidewaze Samm

Front fender replacement

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:03 am

BennyHill wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:52 am Do the front fenders from the 2.0-3.0 roadsters/convertables match the 3.0si coupe? Design, length?
The front fenders (wings) are the same. Black Sapphire is a common colour too, so getting one in the right colour shouldn't be problematic, but as the car is going into a bodyshop, then any colour will do :)

Have you put a wanted ad on the forum's marketplace?
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Front fender replacement

Post by paddy wright » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:39 am

Mike at the zed shed is breaking two black ones at the moment
3420950B-BAB2-48CF-A5B3-25AB5CC41E24.png
3420950B-BAB2-48CF-A5B3-25AB5CC41E24.png (596.47 KiB) Viewed 183 times
E3C9E19C-24CF-47AF-B99A-538B2202E608.png
E3C9E19C-24CF-47AF-B99A-538B2202E608.png (493.36 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!