Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2007 3.0si Roadster - vague steering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:24 pm

Hello all

I’ve had to leave my new Z for a few days while I’m working, boohoo. I have noticed one very annoying feeling while driving recently and have been reading some threads on steering. None really describe the same feeling I’m getting.

While I’m driving in 20 and 30 limits, the car and steering wheel intermittently follow the lines in the road and wanders off the line and I have to counter the motion and turn wheel back. These are exactly the same roads my F10 5 series has no problem with.

Tyres are new’ish and car feels ok on the motorway. Any feedback or experience of similar issues on here? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Lee
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:50 pm

That sounds like the notorious "tramlining" effect many owners experience. Have a search for that.

Hopefully your newish tyres aren't runflats as by all accounts they don't help!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 pm

Yes I had this when I first got the car, seemed like a giant was grabbing the front wheels and turning them. My tyres are non run flats but they needed pumping up as they were a bit flat and this didn’t help. Then I had the 4 wheel alignment done and this mostly got rid of it. Still seems to do it a little on certain roads but much better and you will get used to it and drive accordingly. The car still seems to dart around but I’ve read that this is because of the short wheel base and wide stance.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:42 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 pm Yes I had this when I first got the car, seemed like a giant was grabbing the front wheels and turning them. My tyres are non run flats but they needed pumping up as they were a bit flat and this didn’t help. Then I had the 4 wheel alignment done and this mostly got rid of it. Still seems to do it a little on certain roads but much better and you will get used to it and drive accordingly. The car still seems to dart around but I’ve read that this is because of the short wheel base and wide stance.
Thanks for your response, first thing I’ll check when I get home is the tyres. Then for my own sanity, I might book the car in for wheel alignment.
Thanks

Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:50 pm That sounds like the notorious "tramlining" effect many owners experience. Have a search for that.

Hopefully your newish tyres aren't runflats as by all accounts they don't help!
Good tip, I’ve now read some relatable threads for me. I’ll check those tyres on Friday! Thanks!

Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:21 am

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 pm Yes I had this when I first got the car, seemed like a giant was grabbing the front wheels and turning them. My tyres are non run flats but they needed pumping up as they were a bit flat and this didn’t help. Then I had the 4 wheel alignment done and this mostly got rid of it. Still seems to do it a little on certain roads but much better and you will get used to it and drive accordingly. The car still seems to dart around but I’ve read that this is because of the short wheel base and wide stance.
Hey, got home last night. Just checked my tyres and they are Bridgestone Potenza run flats! I’ll be getting rid of these asap for a decent non run flat and hopefully the steering will improve!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Not surprising really as that was what BMW fitted in the factory. :(

You might get a few quid for them on here if someone is wanting to keep their car original and needs new tyres.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:10 am

It may also be due to your shock absorbers getting a bit old.

I have the same age car as you and I recently replaced all the shocks. They were all pretty much worn out i.e. no or little gas pressure left to extend them and not much effort required to compress them.

After changing them my car feels a bit more stable, but it still tramlines a little.

Stuart (Bigwinn) has done some good suspension guides in the "How To" section.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

iksander

Post by iksander » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:05 pm

Been through a similiar process: ditch runflats, check bushes, check shocks, e46 m3 CSL alignment - I would also suggest you get the wheels checked and balance