Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible under-boosting issue with my remapped 20i?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:49 am

Felixlamb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 am
B21 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:34 am You really need Protool if you are into that level of tinkering…I’m a 100% Apple household..just bought a cheap ruggedised Chinese android phone for this and xHP and MHD..
Gotcha - I'll look into that then. If only XHP supported the 8HP45 in the Z4 :( . They flat out said to me that there wasn't enough demand for them to justify it. I do also massively envy the hassle-free fiddling you N54 lot can do on MHD.
Yes in the end , as a tinkerer, was part of the reason to try the 35is / N54…just a lot more support both hardware and software wise…

Having said that a decent re-map on the N20 and with the 8HP box is probably the best E89 combo..especially with hindsight..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 am

Felixlamb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 am I'll look into changing the sparks myself I think... can't be too difficult. Any recommendations on spark plugs or is OEM going to be best for this application?
Don’t think you can go wrong with NGK or Bosch plugs, one thing though you will need a thin walled socket for the plugs, I think it’s 14mm but not certain
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:28 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:37 am For reference, a pull I did yesterday on a disused runway. This time I was able to get a full 5th gear pull, which I assume would have been the gear used on the dyno when it was remapped.

It’s interesting that at no point does the car give 100% throttle, looks like it doesn’t hit 90% even. Wonder why that is? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:08 pm

Ahh, that’s the recorded actual throttle pedal position. Even at kickdown (which these runs were all done on) it doesn’t read 100%. I’m not entirely sure why, but I believe the engine is still being loaded to the maximum though. There’s a “Calculated Engine Load Value (%)” parameter which was reading in the high 90%s during that run, with a max of 99.2%. I need to see if there’s a more absolute reading, such as a throttle plate position sensor, as of course 50% throttle pedal means different things depending on if you’re in Sport or not.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:57 pm

A small update - my service log shows the sparks were changed at 25k miles, so ~22k miles ago. So surprise surprise, BMW were talking bull saying I needed them replaced. Never change, main dealers…never change… :headbang:
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 pm

If your current plugs have done 22k then it’s time to swap them out with a re-mapped engine :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:48 am

B21 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 pm If your current plugs have done 22k then it’s time to swap them out with a re-mapped engine :thumbsup:
Even though it’s only done ~5k miles since the remap? I thought even with a remap, they’d be lasting a fair bit longer than that? If it might help then I’ll certainly change them though.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:11 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:48 am
B21 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 pm If your current plugs have done 22k then it’s time to swap them out with a re-mapped engine :thumbsup:
Even though it’s only done ~5k miles since the remap? I thought even with a remap, they’d be lasting a fair bit longer than that? If it might help then I’ll certainly change them though.
General advice on tuning is that everything should be perfect BEFORE you tune up…

Advice on plugs is about 25k miles on tunes N20s and 15k-20k miles on N54s..

50k miles on N20 coils and 25k miles on N54 coils..

The more pressure in the cylinders the harder the work for coils and plugs.

As an outside early N20 had a poorer spec HPFP which was upgraded later in life.

Mine was showing signs of collapsing under lots of boost..you never ever want to run lean on these puppies especially at the top end / full boost..

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:51 pm

Okay…Got the plugs installed last weekend, but unfortunately issue not fixed. Been speaking to Will @PT and might bring my car over for him to take a look, but before I do that I think I’ll jump on the ProTool bandwagon. Don’t have an android device however - has anyone tried it on a laptop via bluestacks?
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:21 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:51 pm Okay…Got the plugs installed last weekend, but unfortunately issue not fixed. Been speaking to Will @PT and might bring my car over for him to take a look, but before I do that I think I’ll jump on the ProTool bandwagon. Don’t have an android device however - has anyone tried it on a laptop via bluestacks?
Even though I’m an Apple bigot I just bought a ruggedised Chinese Android phone for £80 and keep it charged in the car so I can access it anytime I’m out n about.. :thumbsup: