Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it the primary fuel pump?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm

So we know that an E89 makes all sorts of noises during it's "going to sleep" process.

When you open either door I am presuming the initial whirring is the primary fuel pump priming and pressurising for an engine start...is this right?
So after about 5-10 minutes of leaving the car, it does the same type of whirring noise (makes me jump if I'm in the garage and all else is quiet). Is this the fuel pump reversing to relieve the fuel pressure? Sounds like the noise comes from near the rear wheels, so makes sense to me.

But then many things make sense to me but no-one else and vice versa :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:28 pm

Are you sure it's not your hardwired rampant rabbit powering down? :rofl:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:29 pm

The whirr is the secondary low pressure fuel pump in the tank pressurising the input to the HPFP which is mechanically driven off the engine,…so it’s not possible to hear the primary pump running without the engine…this applies to N20 and N54 engines..

The N52 is port injected so I think that only has a single pump..low pressure in the tank..

I’ve never hung around long enough ( in a garage..sob..) to hear it shut down…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 pm

B21 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:29 pm The whirr is the secondary low pressure fuel pump in the tank pressurising the input to the HPFP which is mechanically driven off the engine,…so it’s not possible to hear the primary pump running without the engine…this applies to N20 and N54 engines..
S'what I meant. Primary as in 'the first one' from the tank. The LPFP, not the one that pumps it up to 5 million psi. :D
Just not sure if it reverses to relieve the pressure on shutdown.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:02 pm
B21 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:29 pm The whirr is the secondary low pressure fuel pump in the tank pressurising the input to the HPFP which is mechanically driven off the engine,…so it’s not possible to hear the primary pump running without the engine…this applies to N20 and N54 engines..
S'what I meant. Primary as in 'the first one' from the tank. The LPFP, not the one that pumps it up to 5 million psi. :D
Just not sure if it reverses to relieve the pressure on shutdown.
Pedantically..convention dictates that the fuel pump closest to the engine is the primary..so in the E89 on the N20 and N54 with DI that’s the primary…on the N52 with port injection the fuel pump in the fuel tank is the primary,..

But in any case the only fuel pump running prior to engine start is the one in the tank.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: