Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Passenger airbag retrofit...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:27 pm

Wookster78 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:18 pm Ah keeps you busy, I get bored if something does not go wrong and I have nothing to fix, then I end up going around looking for something that not quite perfect and breaking it so I can fix it again :rofl:
😂 as if I’m not busy enough!! Lol
🤬🤬🤬
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 am

Gents,

I am planning on tackling this over the next couple of weeks but I am a complete newbie when it comes to the coding side of modding. Couple of questions:

1. If I install the switch and use it can I use my 310+ to check it has turned off the airbag and then just know the airbag is turned off? Or does it have to have the light and coded in for it to actually turn the airbag off?

I plan to complete the full retrofit but know I won’t be able to code it due to laptop access until next month. I just want to do this so I can put my kid in the car with me.

2. Where can I get ISTA-P from? Do I need to start looking for torrents?

3. Is it pretty self explanatory how to set up an icom emulator and code the retrofit?

Thanks for any help in advance!

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:51 am

Ali0191 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:29 am Gents,

I am planning on tackling this over the next couple of weeks but I am a complete newbie when it comes to the coding side of modding. Couple of questions:

1. If I install the switch and use it can I use my 310+ to check it has turned off the airbag and then just know the airbag is turned off? Or does it have to have the light and coded in for it to actually turn the airbag off?

I plan to complete the full retrofit but know I won’t be able to code it due to laptop access until next month. I just want to do this so I can put my kid in the car with me.

2. Where can I get ISTA-P from? Do I need to start looking for torrents?

3. Is it pretty self explanatory how to set up an icom emulator and code the retrofit?

Thanks for any help in advance!
1) you can use the c310+ to check it’s state (eg, on or off) but that’s it. Worth noting there’s 2 different part numbers for the airbag light annoyingly. If you buy one, and it’s not working, get the other one lol. I forget the part numbers but I found out the hard way

2) either torrents or mega.nz downloads, I think torrent would be easiest to find. Pretty sure it’s against rules to share details of it on this site, but a google search will help you

3) in my experience, ISTA is a royal pain in the arse! It *should* be easy, but you can spend hours setting it all up and struggling to get the cables to work. Then, even if you DO make it work, you could close your laptop or VM or whatever, go back to it a month later and the bloody thing won’t work and no amount of tinkering will fix it and you have to start all over again. It’s SO frustrating. Depending on the task you need a voltage control app thing, ista, dcan/kcan daemon and plenty of free time to get it working. I use to use it a lot but yeesh it would pee me off. I swear I had to reinstall for hours everytime I needed it lol

Also, whilst ISTA/D from memory is a few GB, ISTA/P can be like 50-100GB.
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:19 pm

That's great, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:06 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm
I’m a little confused as the led has Only 2 pins next to each other , but the plug has 2 pins with a 1 pin spacing. Meaning only 1 pin connects. I’ve tried looking for wiring diagram etc but I just can’t find any explanation!

Any thoughts?
I had the same thing, I bought the wrong LED light button thing (a super cheap one from a R50). Think it needs to be a specific E85 one...
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 am

I am now realising it’s a bigger job than I thought. It seems my ‘05 doesn’t have the wiring pre installed either and the specific LEDs seem to be about £50. I’m not fussed on the light if all it provides is an aesthetic purpose rather than functional.

Autospares.eu is the only place I can find the wiring listed by part number that I have found in other threads. Has anyone purchased from here before?

Is there anyway I can make my on wiring? I don’t understand wiring diagrams at all so don’t know if it’s the case of it just needs linking into the main loom some where or the wiring part has some kind of ECU functionality. If anyone could translate the wiring requirements into layman’s terms that would be greatly appreciated!

I’ll add the wiring diagram when I’m at my computer.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:01 am

Ali0191 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 am I am now realising it’s a bigger job than I thought. It seems my ‘05 doesn’t have the wiring pre installed either and the specific LEDs seem to be about £50. I’m not fussed on the light if all it provides is an aesthetic purpose rather than functional.

Autospares.eu is the only place I can find the wiring listed by part number that I have found in other threads. Has anyone purchased from here before?

Is there anyway I can make my on wiring? I don’t understand wiring diagrams at all so don’t know if it’s the case of it just needs linking into the main loom some where or the wiring part has some kind of ECU functionality. If anyone could translate the wiring requirements into layman’s terms that would be greatly appreciated!

I’ll add the wiring diagram when I’m at my computer.
You’ll have a constant error without the light, you can’t just not have it. I’ll look at the diagram once you’ve uploaded, are you sure the wiring isn’t already there? I had it in my head that 03-06 did
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:34 am

This was placed on the forum by Mac a while back:
e86 passenger airbag deactivation.JPG
e86 passenger airbag deactivation.JPG (66.99 KiB) Viewed 265 times
I will go back out and remove the air vent and glovebox again but I did it and unless the wire is hidden deep down behind the vent, possibly further behind the padding than I looked then it isn't obviously there. I have also had the centre tray out plenty and I have never noticed a spare plug there for the light.

Just found this one too posted by enuff zed on this thread.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (25.21 KiB) Viewed 262 times

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:57 pm

Opened it up again, I can't see where the wires could be considering everyone says they should be right there.
IMG_7956.jpeg
IMG_7956.jpeg (162.25 KiB) Viewed 254 times
IMG_7959.jpeg
IMG_7959.jpeg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 254 times
IMG_7961.jpeg
IMG_7961.jpeg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Ali0191

Post by Ali0191 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:15 pm

So I’ve managed to get the connectors from Stu breaking a vehicle, is anybody able to help on either a photo of where the wires head off towards or where the ‘crash safety module’/‘safety and information module’ is from the wiring diagrams above?

I feel so close having all the parts but so far not knowing where to plug it in to!