Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sam's Project Clubsport/OEM+

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 pm

LemonConnoisseur wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:52 pm Update time, not the battery...

Unfortunately it appears as though the starter motor has shat itself now! An unexpected job to be attempting tomorrow, just got to hope that Euros have it in stock and BMW have the bolts in stock.
Oh dear! With a bit of luck the motor might come with new bolts - I know the water pumps do.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm

plenty wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:17 pm Love this kind of thread and this one is really well put together.

Not in way way questioning the results experienced but in theory at least a bigger front ARB without any other mods should actually increase not reduce understeer.

Oh I absolutely agree, adding a bigger front ARB and doing nothing else should increase the understeer for sure. I genuinely don't know how this hasn't, but maybe it is all due to the -.5 degree of camber I managed to add in :trampoline:

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:41 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 pm Oh dear! With a bit of luck the motor might come with new bolts - I know the water pumps do.
One can hope! Although, reading Lucas' thread/guide, he didn't change the bolts so I doubt they do come with them. We shall see tomorrow :)

plenty

Post by plenty » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:15 pm

LemonConnoisseur wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 pm Oh I absolutely agree, adding a bigger front ARB and doing nothing else should increase the understeer for sure. I genuinely don't know how this hasn't, but maybe it is all due to the -.5 degree of camber I managed to add in :trampoline:
That would certainly explain it!

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:19 pm

So another update time, this is going to be a bit of a long one with a fair few pictures. So long that it'll likely spill over into a couple of posts, so bear with me.

As I mentioned before, the starter died yesterday at McDonald's. There weren't really any prior symptoms beforehand other than it being slightly sluggish to start yesterday afternoon, but it just felt like a slightly low battery. Anyway, I managed to secure a remanufactured Bosch unit from ECP this morning, which was a good start! That was quickly turned on it's head because calling BMW meant that I was going to have to wait until Monday to get the replacement starter bolts. Given they're aluminium and weigh about as much as a feather (they're unbelievably light), I didn't really want to risk snapping anything given the location - drilling them out would not be fun at all.
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg (178.54 KiB) Viewed 855 times
I got home and decided to tackle the removal of it anyway, as I can then just fit the new starter in place with one of the bolts loosely secured, to then be swapped out once I've got the new bolts. Simple, right?

Having read Lucasxdiniz guide on his starter motor replacement, I was going in with confidence! This disappeared almost immediately. I don't know if it's because Lucas has the later model N52 with the different CCV system, or the fact he's some kind of Wizard, but I have no idea how he managed to remove it with the intake manifold in place.

Onwards and upwards, it's only an intake manifold, it can't be THAT hard.

Started with the removal of the top of the airbox and the sound generator. I later went back to remove the bottom portion of the airbox for space.
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg (216.12 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Removed one side of the strut bar for access.
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg (260.35 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Very carefully removed the CCV pipe that connects on to the rocker cover - I've read horror stories about how brittle this pipe is, so I really, really didn't want to break it. (Thankfully it looks intact at the moment)
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Dropped the throttle body off the intake (not sure if this is even necessary)
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg (216.04 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Loosened all of the torx screws for the DISA Valve as I wanted to inspect it. Tried to give it a tug, it didn't move. Won't be inspecting that one then.

With that removed, I started to undo the bolts/nuts that secure the intake to the head. Simples.

Tried to give it a pull to see where was causing resistance and preventing me from removing it, discovered the fuel line that connects to the rail. Again, a scary fitting that could break, but being gentle it came off. Slightly covered in fuel, but we persist!
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg (260.09 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Pull again, realise there's another CCV hose connected down below that's causing issues. Struggle to remove it, but off it comes.

At this point, I'd removed a fair amount of bits, and really didn't want to cock anything else up, so I decided just moving the intake to the side would hopefully give me the access I needed.

I could now see the starter in all it's glory! Still a bit awkward to get to, but managed to get both of the bolts out, plug disconnected, and the positive wire removed, with the only injury being a slightly bruised knuckle due to accidentally punching the side of the head whilst undoing one of the bolts. Success!
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg (143.54 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Quickly checked the new starter against the old, as ECP had a couple of different fitment options, but I took a gamble and it paid off.
IMG_0434.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg (206.05 KiB) Viewed 855 times
Attachments
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg (149.95 KiB) Viewed 855 times
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg (230.52 KiB) Viewed 855 times

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:50 pm

On a high from the success so far, as the intake was off and a usually difficult to access torx bolt was now basked in glorious light and ease of removal, I decided that it would be a smart idea to change the oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets as I had meant to do them before but couldn't due to tool limitations. This is where everything started to go wrong. :rofl:

I'd read a couple of guides/watched a couple of YouTube videos beforehand to get an idea of what is involved. In videos, as is always the case, it doesn't look too difficult and everything comes off with ease! In reality, that really is not the case.

With the oil filter removed, it was time to begin.
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg (234.92 KiB) Viewed 844 times
After removing one of the, usually, difficult to access bolts, I was feeling smug. Very smug. "Phwoar, with the intake off, this is gonna be a piece of piss!"
How foolish of me.

I could remove both of the upper torx bolts on the filter housing with no problem, placed them to one side. Tried to tug it, it moved a bit but felt as though it was stuck. It was only then that I remembered the infamous third bolt, that sits right next to a coolant flange. Bollocks.

I tried to get a spanner on it, no luck. Then tried a socket, no luck. Ok, so that coolant flange is going to have to come out. No issue, two 10mm bolts, a slight pull, and...
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg (199.89 KiB) Viewed 844 times
For f**k sake.

Now, after doing some research in hindsight, I realise that these are a brittle piece of plastic that are known to fail. Lovely!
I was pretty deflated when this happened, but at least with it out I could now access the last bolt keeping the filter housing in place.
This proved to be a right little bastard to remove. I've never tried to remove a bolt with worse space than this, not a pleasant experience in the slightest!
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg (141.15 KiB) Viewed 844 times
But, with that removed, it was free! Sort of.
My new E-spanners, although the correct size for the stupid bobble bolts, couldn't get any purchase on the one situated underneath the oil cooler. The 2 coolant pipes that connect to both the cooler and filter housing needed to be removed, which caused coolant to go absolutely everywhere - great. I then lifted the filter housing out, and as I should have anticipated, oil then went everywhere to join the coolant in the undertray/all over the driveway. Much blue roll required to try and catch any last drops that hadn't evacuated from the system, it was not very successful.
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg (210.31 KiB) Viewed 844 times
With the filter housing and cooler now out, slight joy returned as I could now get to the last bolt! Also, judging by the state of both components, I'd say this has been leaking for a while.
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg (158.79 KiB) Viewed 844 times
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Gaskets have seen better days, too!
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg (150.79 KiB) Viewed 844 times
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg (216.94 KiB) Viewed 844 times
New gaskets, Elring items. They came with the car which was handy.
IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0449.jpg (174.09 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Attempted to give both parts a clean with Aldi's finest kitchen cleaner 8)
Better than it was before anyway. Also cleaned up the mating surfaces and fitted the cooler back onto the housing with some new bolts I got from BMW.
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg (145.24 KiB) Viewed 844 times

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:02 pm

Cleaned the mating surface up on the head, then popped the cooler back on. Even though they're aluminium bolts, there's no instruction that they need to be changed for new, so just reused those.
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg (218.45 KiB) Viewed 842 times
Went to attach the coolant pipes, and I came across an issue. If anyone can help with this, that would be wonderful...
Where the f**k is this O-ring meant to go?
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG (133.32 KiB) Viewed 842 times
I figure the plastic piece sits in the coolant pipe itself and goes onto the tapered metal part of the pipe, but the O-ring is nowhere near the right size?

I've popped the coolant pipe back on without the O-ring, but can revisit it if it turns out it's necessary, or I've broken the coolant pipe; the latter would not surprise me at this stage.

Also, whilst looking in the boot for the other gaskets, I came across a Victor Reinz packet with 6 O shaped gaskets. Intake manifold perhaps? Yes :D

They probably didn't need changing, but as they were there, and the intake was in the state it was, on they went!
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0453.jpg (192.21 KiB) Viewed 842 times
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg (232.37 KiB) Viewed 842 times
And now that brings me up to date.

Next steps? Well, as I said, I've ordered the bolts to the local BMW dealer for Monday. I also managed to order a new coolant hose to replace the one with the broken flange. However... I have found an aluminium flange on Amazon. As the plastic version is a common fail point, and if I can avoid spending £60 on a new hose, I have ordered it. It should arrive tomorrow, so I will have a go at crushing the remainder of the plastic flange in the coolant pipe and pop the aluminium version in. Fingers crossed :)

Looking at the coolant that did fall out, I'd say it needs a change. I'm hoping I can get the starter buttoned up on Monday evening after work, Tuesday evening at the latest, then it should be all good to go! Famous last words.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:26 am

Build it up and take it to unzed with ya.. then flog it off there for 3 x the profit. :) :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3