Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Roof Rattle

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Just to add to the flood of roof issues...

When I bought the Z4 a few years back I was surprised at just how quiet it was for a convertible.
I recall vaguely the salesman telling me they had a known issue with the 'catch' that clips the rear windscreen down to the car but he had 'fixed it'... something about padding it out or some tape or something like that.

Anyway - 2 years of silent convertible motoring and now...

A dreadful rattle has appeared at or about head height behind driver and passenger. I suspect its that central clip that holds the rear screen down.

I'd appreciate any clues, advice or indeed if anyone can confirm there is an easy fix to this 'known' problem?

For info, I inspected the clip yesterday and it did have some old pieces of black electrical insulating tape hanging off it - I wonder if that was the 'fix'?

Thanks for any advice.
g.

Deepseaskateboard

New Roof Rattle

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm

McHaggis69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm Just to add to the flood of roof issues...

When I bought the Z4 a few years back I was surprised at just how quiet it was for a convertible.
I recall vaguely the salesman telling me they had a known issue with the 'catch' that clips the rear windscreen down to the car but he had 'fixed it'... something about padding it out or some tape or something like that.

Anyway - 2 years of silent convertible motoring and now...

A dreadful rattle has appeared at or about head height behind driver and passenger. I suspect its that central clip that holds the rear screen down.

I'd appreciate any clues, advice or indeed if anyone can confirm there is an easy fix to this 'known' problem?

For info, I inspected the clip yesterday and it did have some old pieces of black electrical insulating tape hanging off it - I wonder if that was the 'fix'?

Thanks for any advice.
It’s not an issue I have come across before.

In the short term, perhaps look to replace the tape.

Longer term, get on realoem and look up the part number.
Perhaps it’s not too difficult to replace it.

If it is too difficult, it’s probably a garage visit for a permanent fix, but I don’t think it would be too expensive.

Best to sort sooner than later, as you don’t want to damage the roof by it not being properly secured. They can be prohibitively expensive to fix.

Deepseaskateboard

New Roof Rattle

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 pm

I have just re-read this:

There are reports on here about the rear suspension springs snapping to make loud rattle.

Could be worth inspecting both to rule this out.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

New Roof Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 am

If the sound is like someone hitting a plastic lunch box.
Go to pound shop or Wilco.
Buy stick pads for furniture or hifi and stick one either side of the top face of wedge, that bit that rest on the black plastic hole.
Not on the sides of wedge as it's a tight clearance and will get stuck.

Busterboo

New Roof Rattle

Post by Busterboo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:04 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 pm There are reports on here about the rear suspension springs snapping to make loud rattle.
Could be worth inspecting both to rule this out.
Yep, a rear barrel spring - strong as it looks - can break and its rattle sounds as if it's behind the driver's/passenger's shoulder.
Vidi, vici, veni

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm

OK - I have the solution.

Took the roof half way down.
Tow layers of black electrical insulating tape across the latch that holds the rear screen down when the roof is up.

Back to happy, virtually silent Z4 convertible driving.

Thats it.
That was the fix.
Hard to believe BMW didn;t build in a bit of 'padding' around the linkage.
g.

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 am If the sound is like someone hitting a plastic lunch box.
Go to pound shop or Wilco.
Buy stick pads for furniture or hifi and stick one either side of the top face of wedge, that bit that rest on the black plastic hole.
Not on the sides of wedge as it's a tight clearance and will get stuck.
This would probably work.
If the new layers of black tape come off (which they inevitably will) I will go for this fix thanks.
g.