Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hi,new member E89 roof advice pl

First port of call for new members
HavanaLaugh

Post by HavanaLaugh » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:40 am

**REPAIR STATUS UPDATE**
Here’s a recap of what I’ve been doing since .
Had friendly mechanic visit house to read fault . Was error code AGBC- Hall censor roof shell 2 - packed . We gently raised roof up into shut position (but unable to fully engaged/lock) & drove to said friendly mechanics garage at 20mph- possibly the sedatest this car has ever been . With perpetual chimes as a soundtrack and a fair tailback . Ordered and switched out hall sensor (the sub £15 1 series equiv part) . This didn’t clear fault ( glad I didn’t sink £200 into the orig z4 part} - so he deduced a wiring fault - dreaded brown wire was broken and duly repaired .
For good order sake new BMW battery and replaced salmon relays . Had MOT done at same time .. total all in cost £550 incl of labour and vat . Somewhat relived and very happy .

Thanks all for your advice and feedback . This was beyond my comfort zone and delighted was able to be repaired rather than replaced approach at dealers

Hi my pride and joy has A68C error code (Hall sensor roof shell 2 - packed) .well out of my league in terms of repair

Roof is up but not fully engaged , so happy to take to my local garage at low speed.
-Plan to replace salmon pink relays and battery for good orders sake - but as it stands can’t get into boot as is in a slightly raised position. Am hoping this can be rectified at garage
-from what I have read sounds like most likely culprit is broken wire which plan to splice in new better grade silicone replacement on both sides around roof hinge areas .

If I need to change the hall sensor I gather Legend has it that the said hall sensor is a costly item from bmw for z4 version - But the same are available for mini and 1 series for a fraction of the price albeit with different connection?? If this is the case does any one have part number of alternatives please - or where I may find ? Might need replacement connection to mate with z4

Any tips or info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Last edited by HavanaLaugh on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:04 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. It is customary to post photos of your Zed as part of your introduction to the madhouse. The photo police will be along if you don’t :police:

I had a similar issue a short while ago. Take a look through the thread below in the first instance as it deals with the whole repair process, as guided by RobbiZ4, a legend of the forum and without doubt one of the leading experts on E89 roof issues.

viewtopic.php?t=134534

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:15 am

Also as you mentioned directZ4 replacements from BMW are in the region of £200 each. However, 1Series / Mini alternatives do the job for a fraction of the cost. The link below shows the replacement sensors I got, they work perfectly, however I did need a friend to solder the original connectors back on.

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/search/54347190735

HavanaLaugh

Post by HavanaLaugh » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 am

Wonderful , the link is really useful ! I’ll dig out a pic - last one I took was of it was with roof 50/50 looking sorry for itself !!

Just another note of thanks . Was a real help and for sure saved me significant £££. . Mechanic was initially concerned with length of new cables ! But all fine cheers 👍
Last edited by HavanaLaugh on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:09 pm

Hi and welcome aboard. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black