Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TPM / TPMS revisited

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Colin_E

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Colin_E » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:43 pm

I know already from questions asked here previously that my 2015 20i MSport 'should' have TPMS but after an alert popped up today I still have doubts and wonder if my sensors could have been swapped for something earlier before I bought the car. My wheels have 2015 embossed on them so they at least are likely to be original. Why the doubts? Firstly an alert today asked me to check & initialise TPM (not TPMS). Secondly though there's no actual wheel by wheel pressure reading like there is on my Merc - which I always thought TPMS should provide? Turned out to be a false alarm with a less than 0.1 bar difference between the rears and none at all at the front but made me question nonetheless.

Oh and here's a pic - shot with my new drone whilst experimenting with it today. Not too bad for a drone IMHO.
Attachments
DJI_0042-2.jpg
DJI_0042-2.jpg (247.94 KiB) Viewed 857 times

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:11 pm

There are 2 systems, the earlier version is FTM and the later TPM (TPMS)
I've added screenshots of both just ignore the actual trye pressure readings on the screen as that's a special coding, not standard).

The way to tell is the tyre valve itself, if it's metal then its a TPMS valve, if it's rubber then it's a standard valve.

I'd say you've got TPM and it's as it should be.
Attachments
TPMS_Coded.jpg
TPMS_Coded.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 817 times
FTM.jpg
FTM.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Colin_E

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Colin_E » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:41 pm

Thanks for the response, Dave. That's useful. Yes it seems I have TPM with metal valve stems and a similar iDrive display to you though WITHOUT the actual pressure readings - see photo. What do I need to do to code these readings? That's actually what I thought I was missing (the handbook says "the current tyre inflation pressures are also displayed in the status control display" on page 101).
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg (149.33 KiB) Viewed 798 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:37 pm

Could be that somebody in the past put TPMS equipped wheels on a FTM car…

I did that …inadvertently..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

tonyg

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by tonyg » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm

Colin_E wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:41 pm Thanks for the response, Dave. That's useful. Yes it seems I have TPM with metal valve stems and a similar iDrive display to you though WITHOUT the actual pressure readings - see photo. What do I need to do to code these readings? That's actually what I thought I was missing (the handbook says "the current tyre inflation pressures are also displayed in the status control display" on page 101).

IMG_1460.jpg (149.33 KiB) Viewed 88 times
I get the same green tyre display Colin and wondered how to get pressures themselves.

Colin_E

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Colin_E » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 pm

tonyg wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm
I get the same green tyre display Colin and wondered how to get pressures themselves.
Yeah, I think it's clear enough now that my TPM(S) is working as it should and I was mistaken in expecting actual pressure readings as standard. Nonetheless I'd value having them so I'm interested to know how big a deal it is to code them.
I have a 'Carly' device though my sub has lapsed.
INPA etc seems like a biggish learning curve.
Bimmergeeks Protool is something I'd probably consider if it would do this but nothing on their site tells you what it will or won't code.
So I'd truly welcome a bit of guidance on what is needed,

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Pondrew » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:56 pm

[/quote]
Colin_E wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 pm Yeah, I think it's clear enough now that my TPM(S) is working as it should and I was mistaken in expecting actual pressure readings as standard. Nonetheless I'd value having them so I'm interested to know how big a deal it is to code them.
Here you go. £5 but does take all the effort of unscrewing the caps! :roll:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/masterpr ... -538773711
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:27 am

Colin_E wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 pm
tonyg wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm
Yeah, I think it's clear enough now that my TPM(S) is working as it should and I was mistaken in expecting actual pressure readings as standard. Nonetheless I'd value having them so I'm interested to know how big a deal it is to code them.
I have a 'Carly' device though my sub has lapsed.
INPA etc seems like a biggish learning curve.
Bimmergeeks Protool is something I'd probably consider if it would do this but nothing on their site tells you what it will or won't code.
So I'd truly welcome a bit of guidance on what is needed,
Protool codes everything that can be coded…sometimes you require expert mode but tech support is great if you need to go there..

I have ISTA, had Carly but use Protool for 99% of what I need to do…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Sorry guys, the display of tyre pressure is not possible on the CIC iDrive system, it's a NBT mod.
Dave

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:04 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:56 pm
Colin_E wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 pm Yeah, I think it's clear enough now that my TPM(S) is working as it should and I was mistaken in expecting actual pressure readings as standard. Nonetheless I'd value having them so I'm interested to know how big a deal it is to code them.
Here you go. £5 but does take all the effort of unscrewing the caps! :roll:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/masterpr ... -538773711
:rofl:
Last edited by AnubisZed on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 pm

Whoops double post
Dave

Marcoose

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Marcoose » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:40 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:04 pm Sorry guys, the display of tyre pressure is not possible on the CIC iDrive system, it's a NBT mod.
You’re a big teaser, you know?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Colin_E

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Colin_E » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:48 pm

@AnubisZed - thats a pity but thanks for letting me know before I get too far down the rabbit hole.

@Pondrew - LOL, I carry one already as a matter of routine, but when you get the message on iDrive to check / reinitialise TPM just as you're entering the motorway it's a tough call whether to keep going and assume it won't be a big deal OR pull over immediately and check. On my Merc which does display pressures its an easy call to check the display first & then decide. So yeah - I think it would be worth having.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:09 pm

Colin_E wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:48 pm @AnubisZed - thats a pity but thanks for letting me know before I get too far down the rabbit hole.

@Pondrew - LOL, I carry one already as a matter of routine, but when you get the message on iDrive to check / reinitialise TPM just as you're entering the motorway it's a tough call whether to keep going and assume it won't be a big deal OR pull over immediately and check. On my Merc which does display pressures its an easy call to check the display first & then decide. So yeah - I think it would be worth having.
And even if you do pull over and check you still won't know, as the pressures quoted are from cold.
You'd need to find out which one was low, then check the other side and pump the low one up to match it.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am

Sorry guys for the confusion :P

As far as the pressure reading on the screen remember this, the iDrive CIC system first came out in 2008 and finished in most cars in 2013 with the introduction of NBT, it's only the E89 that had it up to end of production in August 2016. No updates have been available since 2012 and even then nothing major was added. We've got to remember that we have an old car with an even older entertainment system :driving:
Dave