Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Key stuck in ignition...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DMike

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by DMike » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi supadupa,
Underneath the black ring surrounding the key hole there is indeed a hole, which is used to remove the complete lock barrel - needs two bmw special tools (one is like a pin) and you probably don’t want to go that way anyhow.

TIS says there is a mechanical connection, a bowden cable, ”interlock” from the shifter to the ingnition lock.

The ignition lock is mechanically connected to the selector lever via a Bowden cable. The withdrawal lock only permits the ignition key to be removed in selector-lever position ”P”.
Vice versa, the selector lever can only be moved from selector-lever position ”P” when the ignition key is inserted and turned to at least ignition ON.

Your specific symptom is not described in TIS, but bowden cables occasionally fail or just need a drop of oil and some adjustment. I have the relevant TIS pdfs for you, one explaining the system and two with instructions to adjust or replace the cable. Can’t post them here but could send them if you pm your email?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

supadupa64

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by supadupa64 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:57 pm

I disconnected a cable, but it didn't work. I looked at the manuals, but honestly couldn't make much sense of it. I also did not see a hole anywhere around the ignition.

supadupa64

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by supadupa64 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 am

Got it out.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by pvr » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:55 am

How?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:05 am

supadupa64 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:58 am Got it out.
Excellent. Please tell us how.
As you can see from the lack of clear advice given, this is not a common issue encountered on this forum, so any feedback you can give would be gratefully received.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

supadupa64

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by supadupa64 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:35 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:55 amHow?
The truth is I took it to the mechanic. The guy walks up, gets in and pulls the key out...

Previously I had sprayed some WD40 inside they keyhole area. He did get it stuck in there again for a second. But it just took some time to loosen up.

I think there is still something going on though. Today it got stuck for a second, but then managed to get it out. I do think that shooting some lube inside helped and maybe thats what helped it come loose.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:29 am

supadupa64 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:35 pm
The truth is I took it to the mechanic. The guy walks up, gets in and pulls the key out...

Previously I had sprayed some WD40 inside they keyhole area. He did get it stuck in there again for a second. But it just took some time to loosen up.

I think there is still something going on though. Today it got stuck for a second, but then managed to get it out. I do think that shooting some lube inside helped and maybe thats what helped it come loose.
Ha! Always the way.
Do you have a second key? If so, worth checking in case it's simply a tiny burr on one key that is catching.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

supadupa64

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by supadupa64 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I've been using the same key. I guess I could use the other key for a while and see. Key that was stuck seems to be doing alright atm. I'll compare them.

SonnyA85

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 am

supadupa64 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:35 pm

Mine was because the shift lock was seized. I couldn't move the shifter. This sounds like the locking mechanism itself may have seized. My suggestion would be to now put the key in and turn it on and then off without actually turning the engine on about 200 times. That should help unseize it hopefully. My shift lock seized because it had been parked up for 2 years. Like you mechanic had it open and key out straight away then he had to take apart the shifting mechanism, strip down, clean and lubricate.

Also when it's in position 1 and engine off you can move the shifter up and down into each slot and keep repeating that to help prevent the shifter from seizing.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 am My suggestion would be to now put the key in and turn it on and then off without actually turning the engine on about 200 times.
At the end of which you'll have a perfect key operation and will only have to sort out all the fried electrics. :rofl:
Not sure I'd be cycling my ignition 200 times.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Key stuck in ignition...

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 am
SonnyA85 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 am My suggestion would be to now put the key in and turn it on and then off without actually turning the engine on about 200 times.
At the end of which you'll have a perfect key operation and will only have to sort out all the fried electrics. :rofl:
Not sure I'd be cycling my ignition 200 times.
You would go against the Guru’s expert advice? :rofl:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image