Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Steering Wheel Wobble

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JamesZ4e85.

Post by JamesZ4e85. » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi All,

I’ve got a problem with my 2007 E85.

It’s got a bit of a steering wheel wobble/ shake. When driving in a straight line it’s not that noticeable. When you turn it’s quite bad.

My local mechanic has has it in for a look over and changed a front bush but it’s not any better. He couldn’t find anything wrong but did say I could try changing the front shock absorbers to see if that helps, but he couldn’t see them leaking.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
James

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:32 pm

wheel alignment, suspension or possibly even tyre related or wheel related.

shock absorbers don't need to be seen to be leaking before they are knackered they could have leaked 10 years ago for all you know. well worth changing the full front suspension including top mounts, etc.

Special Kay

Post by Special Kay » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:14 am

Hey James, i'd be checking my wheel balancing in the first instance, checking the wheel bolts, bulges in tyres and side walls. I think a quick road trip down to kwik fit or similar to check these and maybe the alignment too. Personally, I've never heard of suspension contributing to steering wheel wobble/shake, but then again i'm no mechanic. Good luck :thumbsup:

Sidewaze Samm

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:04 am

If it doesn't wobble going straight, then it's not wheel balance. I'm no mechanic, but a more detailed description may be helpful to someone who is more knowledgeable.

Only when turning... both directions?
does it depend on amount of steering input?
is it speed sensitive?
does braking reduce/increase the sensation?
what tyres and in what condition?

If it's been checked over by a mechanic, I'd be thinking of having an alignment done if the tyres are good (but wouldn't be going to KwikFit).

If you're not running a staggered setup, can you swap wheels around for elimination?
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.