Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Powerfold mirror motor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Chim_lad

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by Chim_lad » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Hi all.
I have power fold mirrors on my 2004 E85. The passenger one folds in and ‘clicks’ but won’t fold out so I have to do it manually. I’ve checked the mechanism and lubricated it to no avail. Any thoughts on whether I need a replacement and if so, can I replace just the mechanism or do I need the wing mirror housing too (mine is black).
Thanks
5 wheels and a folding roof

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by bigwinn » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Before you head into new motor territory

Check first there is a reset procedure to try where the mirror has effectively gone past its stopping point- and needs mechanically resetting. Have a google for it

Also if there are broken parts inside it, it may also be possible to repair the mech- I found kits to repair E46 and e83 mirrors which had motors and gears in
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 pm

I have one doing exactly the same. In my case I know nothing is broken as if I move it up, then select down when it's only halfway it goes back ok. So it's as though it is sticking at the fully up position.
Had mine all apart and gave it plenty of cleaning and WD40. Then it would occasionally work, but then stopped again.
I suspect the motor just gets a little bit too weak to overcome the initial resistance or detente at the top of the movement.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chim_lad

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by Chim_lad » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:59 am

bigwinn wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:46 pm Before you head into new motor territory

Check first there is a reset procedure to try where the mirror has effectively gone past its stopping point- and needs mechanically resetting. Have a google for it

Also if there are broken parts inside it, it may also be possible to repair the mech- I found kits to repair E46 and e83 mirrors which had motors and gears in
Thanks for your comment. The motor works fine and there’s no ‘grinding’ or anything to suggest otherwise. It just won’t return to the down position electronically. I’ll prob have to remove it and investigate further.

Chim_lad

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by Chim_lad » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:01 am

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 pm I have one doing exactly the same. In my case I know nothing is broken as if I move it up, then select down when it's only halfway it goes back ok. So it's as though it is sticking at the fully up position.
Had mine all apart and gave it plenty of cleaning and WD40. Then it would occasionally work, but then stopped again.
I suspect the motor just gets a little bit too weak to overcome the initial resistance or detente at the top of the movement.
It sounds just like mine. The motor works both ways if I toggle it before it locks into the closed position. I will prob have to remove it and give it a good look.
Thanks

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by patriot66 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:56 pm

This M539 Restorations video from 47:10 onwards may possibly be of help or point you in the right direction :thumbsup:
https://youtu.be/zK8bIT94LKM
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Chim_lad

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by Chim_lad » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 pm

patriot66 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:56 pm This M539 Restorations video from 47:10 onwards may possibly be of help or point you in the right direction :thumbsup:
https://youtu.be/zK8bIT94LKM
Thanks for the link. The mirror doesn’t overshoot and locates fine in the start/stop position. It just doesn’t want to fold out after it’s been folded in. Hope that makes sense.

left98204

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by left98204 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:02 am

I too have exactly the same challenge with mine :headbang:
54 Plate 2.2 SE, Titanium Silver, retro fitted Heated, Electric MSports Seats, Gaptech, Cruise Control, 108's - Owned from new :)

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Powerfold mirror motor

Post by flimper » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:24 am

Same here 😡
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise