Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My Zed is dead ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Hagar

My Zed is dead ?

Post by Hagar » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:37 pm

Hiya, I have a 2003 3lt e85, few weeks ago, coolant light came on, no change in temp, went out after work and managed to get 1/2 cup of coolant in , light was off for a few days , and then same happened again. Thought maybe an airlock as was loosing no coolant and never went over temp. Tried few times to bleed system only for light to come back after few days. Light came on, and also engine light one morning going to work, reader said misfire cylinder 3. Got local garage to fit new coil pack while In work, checked coolant again, all good. Stuck in traffic light on and red lined, and engine light back on. Reader said misfire c3and misfire c3 low fuel. Limped car home after cooling and engine sounded terrible. Took to a local Indy, he thinks I’ve cracked the head, even though compression test ok, sniff test ok, loosing no coolant and system seems to be pressurised. Still got misfire on 3, but only when engine hot. Sorry for long story but really need to find the fault, before start throwing money at it, any idea or help would be much appreciated thanks

SonnyA85

My Zed is dead ?

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:54 pm

Hagar wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:37 pm Hiya, I have a 2003 3lt e85, few weeks ago, coolant light came on, no change in temp, went out after work and managed to get 1/2 cup of coolant in , light was off for a few days , and then same happened again. Thought maybe an airlock as was loosing no coolant and never went over temp. Tried few times to bleed system only for light to come back after few days. Light came on, and also engine light one morning going to work, reader said misfire cylinder 3. Got local garage to fit new coil pack while In work, checked coolant again, all good. Stuck in traffic light on and red lined, and engine light back on. Reader said misfire c3and misfire c3 low fuel. Limped car home after cooling and engine sounded terrible. Took to a local Indy, he thinks I’ve cracked the head, even though compression test ok, sniff test ok, loosing no coolant and system seems to be pressurised. Still got misfire on 3, but only when engine hot. Sorry for long story but really need to find the fault, before start throwing money at it, any idea or help would be much appreciated thanks
have you checked the oil level?

Rockhopper

My Zed is dead ?

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:59 pm

Head gasket failure on these cars is very rare but driving it when it’s overheated is always a bad idea.

Hagar

My Zed is dead ?

Post by Hagar » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:37 am

Yeah oil level fine and clean on dip stick and rocker cap, and the car never overheated until that last day and I pulled over immediately and let it cool, drove last couple of mile home, went into the red as I pulled onto drive, and sounded like a bag of hammers

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

My Zed is dead ?

Post by mac27040 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:16 pm

check water pump if not losing coolant.
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

SonnyA85

My Zed is dead ?

Post by SonnyA85 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:36 pm

Could the thermostat be seized close? Get a new thermostat.

However you may have caused permanent damage especially if it sounds bad.

Could also be the pump but that's a more common failure on the n52 engine not the M54.