Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Android upgrade

Pil

E89 Android upgrade

Post by Pil » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Good evening all,
I have been meaning to join the Z4 forum since I bought my 2011 23i in the first lockdown way back. I have read many comments on here and have learnt much about these wonderful cars.

I’m in a bit of trouble with mine.

I watched many YouTube videos about upgrading the old idrive head on the e89 and installing a newer Android touch screen version. So, I ordered a new head unit from Carnavi in China. One of the videos I watched time and time again had recommended this company so I followed their lead thinking it would be a reasonably easy to install. I was very wrong indeed.

When the unit and cables arrived, I set a day aside to install it. I watched and even took notes from several YouTube videos which made it look so achievable and I felt quite confident. The next day arrived and because it was so sunny I took the roof down and began taking the panels off in order to get to wiring behind the dashboard. I followed the videos religiously and, step by step, I confidently installed the new head. When I had wired it all up, I happily put my key in and nothing happened. The screen did not come on!!!!! What was the problem??? I just didn’t know why it didn’t work, I seriously had followed everything and was completely baffled.

Now, although I’m not an expert by any means, I had worked on car electrics in the past and had once totally rewired a 1972 MG Midget quite successfully. I know, e89’s are not old MG Midgets.

I’ve been on to carnavi and they had me test the loom and suggested a bit of rewiring which I dutifully did; but it still didn’t work. Looks like I’m going to have to send it back to them.

HELP

Does anyone know or can recommend a good auto electrician in the Birmingham UK area that could supply and install one of these android heads? Preferably someone who’s familiar with the e89.

I have learnt my lesson and in future I will definitely leave it to the professionals.

I hope you guys can help ☹️