Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Roof issue

First port of call for new members
Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 am

Hi there. I'm a new member, with yet another roof problem. I'm helping a friend with his 2004 Z4, it's in a bit of a sorry state, been standing outside for some time.
The roof unlatches OK, and moves about an inch on the motor, then stops, red light flashing. I was assuming we have an issue with the motor /pump/drains. However, I've pulled the cable in the boot, and the roof will still only move about six inches manually. I don't want to force it, obviously, but have no idea how stiff it would normally be. I'd like to get it open and lubricate all the moving parts before I condemn the motor. Also, I am assuming that turning the motor under the cowl with an Allen key, is only for the initial unlatching, (which is fine). Any advice for a complete novice would be very welcome.
Cheers
Caz

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Another Roof issue

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:15 am

If it’s moving under its own steam and stopping dead that suggests an electrical loom issue over common pump issues

I’d recommend a look at the loom that runs down the passenger side of the hood (uk car) for any kinks or breaks
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:26 am

Thanks, I'll do that when I finally get it open, but the fact that it won't move manually suggests to me it may be a mechanical, rather than electrical problem, but hell, what do I know🤐

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Another Roof issue

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:28 am

viewtopic.php?t=129382

Worth a read

The roof won’t move due to the hydraulic fluid locking it and your valve may be faulty on the red hoop as they fail in situ

Have you moved the motor from the initial location to the boot so you can look at its condition?

Where are you based there are a number of members who can assist with roof issues
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:50 am

I haven't touched the motor.
I'm in Rainham, Essex, not far from the Dartford Crossing.
Pulling the red hoop did give me substantially more movement, but not enough!

BTW, this car is for sale, I'll do an advert in the appropriate section when I get a minute, but there are a couple of things I'd like to sort first if I can, this being one of them.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another Roof issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:17 am

Welcome to the forum Caz, hopefully we can help you out with this.

When you say it moves about an inch, is this definitely the motor in the boot kicking in, or just the result of the front unlatching?
If it is only the front then it could well be as Stuart says, a wiring issue. Then the inability to move it by hand is likely to be a separate fault.
If the car has been stood outside a long time it could well be that the motor is swimming and things have seized up.

Sounds like the first step is going to have to be moving the roof motor.
In all likelihood the brass plunger that the red hoop actuates is seized, therefore not opening the bypass valve and allowing the hydraulic fluid to circulate when you try to push the roof manually.
Tbh, until you have the motor out where you can see it you won't really be able to achieve much more.
So you have a few options:
1. Read all the info on the forum, ask all the right questions, watch youtube then try it yourself.
2. Take the car to RBM in Hook, Hampshire who will move it for you.
3. Take the car to Stuart (bigwinn) in Lincoln, who will move it for you.
4. Take the car to me, in Norfolk, who will move it for you.
5. Ask on the forum if there is anyone closer who can do them.

6. Sell me the car dirt cheap as it stands :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:03 pm

No 6 may well be an option

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another Roof issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:03 pm

Tigertrousers wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:03 pm No 6 may well be an option
:rofl:
If I can help you fix it I will. Is the car roadworthy? Trouble with coming to you is getting all the way there and finding I'm missing a tool.

Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm

It drives, but it's not legit, belongs to a friend, he wants rid of it, he's kind of lost the plot, and is completely skint, so I've dragged it off his drive, stuck a battery on, thrown a bucket of water over it, and am going to sell it for him, but if there's anything I can do myself that'll make it a bit more sellable first, I will. At least I've managed to get the bonnet up.
I don't intend to spend much time or money on it, just the basics.
It's not the most desirable car you've ever seen, but my mate is all nostalgic about it, and thinks it's marvellous, despite my telling him it's not.
Having googled a bit about the roof motor, it looks like something I could do if I really wanted, but I probably don't want to get that involved in someone else's car, it's not a five minute job.
Keep an eye on the "for sale" section.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Another Roof issue

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:04 pm

Tigertrousers wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:26 pm It drives, but it's not legit, belongs to a friend, he wants rid of it, he's kind of lost the plot, and is completely skint, so I've dragged it off his drive, stuck a battery on, thrown a bucket of water over it, and am going to sell it for him, but if there's anything I can do myself that'll make it a bit more sellable first, I will. At least I've managed to get the bonnet up.
I don't intend to spend much time or money on it, just the basics.
It's not the most desirable car you've ever seen, but my mate is all nostalgic about it, and thinks it's marvellous, despite my telling him it's not.
Having googled a bit about the roof motor, it looks like something I could do if I really wanted, but I probably don't want to get that involved in someone else's car, it's not a five minute job.
Keep an eye on the "for sale" section.
That's a shame, but thank you, I'll look out for it.
Have a habit of rescuing poorly zeds anyway. Not black is it? I seem to be stuck with just black ones. :rofl:

Tigertrousers

Another Roof issue

Post by Tigertrousers » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:09 am

Blue