Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cold start problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jellybeans6891

Cold start problem

Post by Jellybeans6891 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Hello!

Newbie Z4 2.0 E85 2008 owner, hoping for some advice please.

When starting the car from a cold engine, it judders when pulling off in first. It almost feels like it’s trying to stall or that it’s not got enough power and it sort of hops for a few seconds. It’s absolutely fine once driving but will judder the first two or three stop-and-starts, and then after a few minutes the problem stops completely. It only happens when the engine is cold and doesn’t do it if it’s been stopped only for a short time, eg at the supermarket.

I have used a basic code reader on it and no codes are showing. It is booked at a BMW independent but worried if no codes are showing, how difficult it will be to diagnose the issue.

Does anyone have any tips to what it could be please?

Thanks in advance

willinham

Cold start problem

Post by willinham » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi, did you ever get an answer for this? My E85 2.0 does exactly the same thing. No clutch slip at all so I cant think its the clutch?

tug

Cold start problem

Post by tug » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:42 am

Mate, it's really common on the 2.0. It helps but not cures the problem by having the CDV removed. I managed to overcome this a long time ago, have had my 2.0 for 8 years now. Best thing i found, that when cold, just give it a few extra revs when pulling off and slip the clutch slightly for a second while taking up the drive. Been doing this for years and not caused any problems.

Also, i found that if you pull over before reaching operating temp. restart, the problem goes away - strange, but it works!

Hope this helps. Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE